Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

squire vs fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svestheday001, Jul 29, 2002.

1. svestheday001

svestheday001 Guest

Jul 28, 2002
    colorado
    is there any differnce besides the price?

2. Squier is made in Mexico by workers who fled from Guatamala looking for work. Fenders are made in California by Mexicans who fled from Mexico looking for work.

3. svestheday001

svestheday001 Guest

Jul 28, 2002
    colorado
    lol, any other differences?

4. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    Well, my squier was made in idonesia, i've seen others from china and japan, but only one from mexico.
    All the Fenders i've seen are mexican, japanese, or american.

the biggest difference is in quality and sound.

5. Squier is made in Asia (Indonesia, China, etc.) while Fenders are made in America, Mexico and Japan.

Fenders are higher quality in parts, while Squiers, especially the newer ones, aren't that great.

6. Squiers (currently) aren't made in Mexico, although my first bass, a Squier Jazz, was made in mexico. Fenders definately are better (Materials, workmanship, sound, etc.) but it doesnt mean Squiers are bad. Some Squiers are probably better then some Fenders, but you will rarely see it. Play both and which ever is better is the one for you.

jtbp

7. IT...WAS...A...JOKE...PEOPLE..!

8. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    evry1's like... RACIST! lol

9. Eismann

Eismann

Jul 27, 2002
    Michigan
    American is better.

Have you ever seen a good product made in Mexcio?

10. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada

yes. yes i have.

11. Eismann

Eismann

Jul 27, 2002
    Michigan
    What?

All the good American cars are made in Canada. Good Basses are made here in the USA.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Since no one has answered the question explaining what the difference is, I´ll give it my best shot.

Squier is the "budget" line of Fender. That means that they are assembled often in Asia, vs. Fenders are assembled in USA, Mexico or Japan(I know that Japan is a part of Asia..). The components (wood, bridge, tuners etc.) aren´t up to par with normal Fenders, but you can still be lucky and find a very good sounding Squier, it´s rare though, very rare.

The construction of a Squier bass is more often than not sub-par to a regular Fender. I picked up a Squier the other day, and I nearly sliced my hands just by sliding them down the side of the neck. The fretwork was horrible. That was the case with 3 Squier basses I tried out.

So it boils down to: You get what you pay for.

Some people swear by them, I don´t.

BUT they are better than many other no-name budget brands out there. So if you´re budget is very constrained, then the Squier may be the best choice in that kind of situtation.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Check out this thread!
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54544

B.t.w. Everything written here above is IMHO!

13. svestheday001

svestheday001 Guest

Jul 28, 2002
    colorado
    thank you for actually answering my question, but i must give props to whoever gave the fleeing from guatemala answer, that was some funny shizznazz

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    :rolleyes:

Canada rules!

15. lateralus

lateralus Guest

Jul 21, 2002
    Canada woooooooo!! I have a squier guitar telecaster made in korea sounds the exact same as an american made fender

16. My Squier P bass is Korena made. It sounds just as good as MIM Fender P basses, and has real chrome knobs instead of those lamo plastic number knob jobs.

Pick ups are a little weak, but isn't that what the volume knob is for? :D

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I have yet not seen one Squier with bad woodwork. I have seen two Fender American De Luxe with flaws around the neck joint, meaning dents or missing splints.
    Some Squiers have had rather big neck pockets though.
    Squiers don't have the same fretboard radius as Fenders, which feels like bad fretwork if you let your thumb up over the edge of the neck.
    Squiers have simpler electronics. Not less good, simpler.
    Occationally, Squiers are faulty wired, like the capasitor at the tone is not right, the volume is wired to the wrong lug, anything. I have never found this on a Fender.

Bottom line: a good Squier is as good as a good Fender. Whichever, you need to check the individual bass, carefully!
    "Fender" does not equal "quality"...

18. eian_michael

eian_michael

Aug 20, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a squire and personally i love it.
    I agree with the other guys on this forum, squires are iffy.
    The only issues i had with mine was the pick ups. after switching out the stock to EMG's it sounds better than some fenders. the neck is a jazz so it plays better.
    my last issue is the tuning pegs.
    the metal bent easy and needs to be replaced.
    had her for eight years and she's still holding strong.

also, if you're a solid player and have great tone and use '******' guitars/basses and still sound great...

food for thought.

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

They are not even comparable in terms of quality (and price) anybody that cannot tell the difference between playing a Squier and a Fender is either kidding themselves or just that ignorant of what to look for in a proper playing machine. You can get the tone close with a pickup swap but actually playing both with your own hands they are going to be two different beasts. As a previous poster said,it is especially noticeable in the fretwork, Squiers all have sharp fret edges.

EDIT: Just realized the date on this thread... why did you feel the need to revive this eian?

Food for thought, even your 8 year old Squier isn't as old as this thread.... :D