squire vs sub bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daveyo, May 4, 2019.

1. daveyo

daveyo

Nov 6, 2013
    Just getting back into playing,leaning towards the sub,what would you choose,and why?
    Thanks,Dave

2. TerenceE

TerenceE Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Which squire? Which sub?

mbell75 likes this.
  3. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    My son has the sterling ray34, its killer. Squier? People still look down on Squiers. Like a Kia.

4. TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    Find a USA SUB or a CV Squier. Great bang for the buck!

elgranluis and eff-clef like this.
  5. daveyo

daveyo

Nov 6, 2013
    Looking at the sterling sub,made in Indonesia,wanting to spend only about 3 hundred,just new to the 9 volt battery thing
    Any others I should consider,also looking at a used peavey fury
    Thanks again
    Dave

6. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Ive owned both the Indonesian made SUB 4 and have owned several Indonesian made CV Squiers. Both are great instruments. Fun fact, they are made in the same factory. All depends on what tone you want. That active MM tone or the passive Fender tone. No one can answer that but you.

Texican, Aqualung60 and cavemanbass like this.
  7. TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    For $300 in a peavey a USA foundation would be an excellent choice

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    They're not bad for $300 but I'd go with an older Squier CV or VM P or J bass...not one of the new models...before they start going up in price, which some are already doing.
    Passive and pure...you can always buy a DI box for some active boost with gain or whatever.
    [​IMG]

9. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Sub bass can be any, well i would sujest Ibanez, try it out.

10. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Wow!!!

I have 4 Squiers and a brand new KIA, Optima.
    I didn't know I was looked down on, and here I was thinking I looked pretty cool.

11. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I've been wanting to pick up a SUB just for the purpose of converting into a bass styled after an L-1000.
    Grab an MFD, slap it in the neck position, throw in the electronics of an L-1000, call it a day.

That's what I'd do, I can't speak for what would fit you, though.

12. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    ...& there you  go.gif
    :D :D

13. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I’ve had Squier vm 4&5 P&J and SBMM SUB 4&5. All great bang for the buck. Good sound and playability. Ultimately I didn’t get along with the MM sound or the tight string spacing on the RAY5. Still have the vm5P.

14. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    And in Texas? How do you pass?
    Yes get a sub, they are powerful, I think the neck has enough mass and they have more tones than the expected one. Add a compressor and you're cooking with gas. or mesquite. whatever. I have the Sterling sub 5, black blond and the ray 5 in caramel, one for home one for studio.

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Don't buy a "squire", it's just a knock-off of a Squier.
    Here's how you can tell if it's a real Squier:

[​IMG]

4001, bumperbass, Texican and 2 others like this.
  16. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Nope. Sorry. We've all been laughing behind your back.

I've never had a SUB so I can't speak for them. I can say that I have had many Squiers over the years and have been very happy with them.

But the passive/active question is the first thing you need to decide.

17. Herbie Chesnutt

Herbie Chesnutt Guest

Mar 19, 2010
    Wake Forest, NC
    I can vouch for the Peavey Foundation being an incredible bass. Never played a Fury tho.

Check out the Ibanez Talman TMB100 too. All around neat bass for very little money. Easy to play and sounds great bone stock.

I've got a VM PJ in sunburst that is only ok.My MiM p was $300 used on CL and it is a better bass in every possible way. I think that's just cuz this p is especially good and my Squier is not as good as others. I can't dial the neck in to my liking no matter what I do.

I had a VM 70s j in natural that was a dream bass. I still can't believe I sold it cuz of stupid GAS.

Budget basses and used are hit and miss, imo. It's best to be able to try them out before buying. I've noodled on some very nice SUBs at GC, but also some pretty cruddy ones too.

MynameisMe, The Mogpipe and eff-clef like this.
  18. 2strings2frets

2strings2frets Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    I have an Indonesia SUB, great bang for the buck. Second only to my two Schecters which cost a lot more. You may find a used SUB for 1/3 new price if you look around.

19. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Quality wise they're pretty equal. Pick which type you'd rather have. Personally I picked squier because I prefer passive P and J basses.
    Or that. If its USA. the international (korean?) I havent tried but the US ones are sweet

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The question is which Squier, and after that the answer is gonna be apples and oranges. It's P vs Stingray or J vs Stingray or PJ vs Stingray. All good choices. You don't mention where you live but if you're in the US and you have about 400 bucks you could probably get the sub and a Squier if you buy used.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022