1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SR 505 upgrade!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sammyp, May 15, 2011.

1. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    Hi Gents, i have an SR 505 ...i love the playability and feel of the soundgear but i find there is a definite suck factor with the tone ...just isn't pro...i've read a bit online and it looks as though the preamp may be the weekest link ...

any opinions? i've been looking at the Demeter model which looks extremely tidy and easy to install, there is also a duncan one that looks good and easy ...the Auglair one looks like some serious soldering etc ....

2. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I've been wanting to put an Aguilar OBP-3 in mine for ages... I just never wanted to put forth the cash to do it...

$150 for the preamp + $75 for an install.

Yea I know I could wire it myself but I can't solder for ####.

3. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    Before replacing that weakest link with another link you'd want to bypass it first and see that you're happy or not with the tone of the pickups. If you don't like the pickups a preamp isn't gonna help a lot.

4. I felt the same about my SR500, just something harsh about the Korean made pups and pre. So I upgraded to the Bartolini MK4CBC pups with the NTMB A/P pre. It is a massive iimprovement. I haven't used any of my more expensive basses since. I'm sure Bart do a 5 string version of these. Do a search on this forum for MK4CBC for more details.

5. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I completely gutted out my SR400 and replaced it with EMGs because the stock pickups/preamp sucked. Now I have an active EMG P/J set with the EMG BQC Control Active preamp wired 18v. Sounds ten times better well worth it! :bassist: