Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SR2000 strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ian Hall, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I just put a set of Dean Markley sr2000 strings on my fiver, and am pretty impressed. I was using peavey cirrus strings before, which I actually did like, but this was the first time that I've used taper wounds. The Bb tightened up quite noticeably and the Eb did a bit too. We tune a half step flat, so the tight sound was pretty impressive. They played very well for strings that weren't broken in, and didn't go out of tune, either. The windings are a bit rough for my taste, but I still think I'll continue using them and see if they smooth up a bit. They have a really great growly mid sound, too. Just a suggestion to anyone that wants to try some different strings.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Which gauge did you buy? I've used the Will Lee 4 string sets with good results. I tune a half step flat also and this gauge works great for this. The one thing about taperwounds that have always bothered me is that I can never seem to get my intonation as good as with a non taper set. All you SR2000 users (John Turner:D ) post some photos of your bridges so I can see how some of you are intonating the strings. The general rule is to move the taper strings saddles more forward due to the smaller diameter at the saddle correct? Please help me, I really dig the sound of these strings.

3. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    It's the Will Lee gauge. I dunno about intonation, you may want to post in the setup forum or do a search.

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Great strings IMO. I use the Light guage:
    B: 125
    E: 98
    A: 78
    D: 60
    G: 44
    C: 30
    (On my Cirrus 6,but they are the same guage for the 4 and 5 sets.)
    They are very bright and punchy with great mids. Of all the strings I've tried,they are unsurpassed IMHO. -Luke

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've had better luck with Dean Markleys (including SR2000's) than any other brand. The SR's are very bright and punchy while retaining a full, deep sound.

RSAutrey-don't intonate by sight. With a pretty straight neck and low-medium action you'll get the best intonation by matching the 12th fret note to its harmonic. If the fretted note is sharp, lengthen the string (turn intonation screw clockwise); do the opposite if it's too flat. For best results use a digital tuner. And remember, after each adjustment you make, tune the open string to its proper pitch BEFORE rechecking the intonation.

If your neck has a lot of relief or you use a high action setting intonation is much more difficult because you have to push the string down farther to reach the fret, causing it to play sharper as you go up the neck. I actually find taperwounds easier to intonate because the string is a little less stiff and the harmonics seem truer.

Hope this helps.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :)

I just put on a set of SR2000s the other day, and my band rehearsed just yesterday.

Let's put it this way: The guitar player said, "Buy, like, a hundred sets and change strings once the sound changes even a little bit."

:D

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

SR2000s are my favorite strings right now. If I wasn't broke, they would be on all of my basses.

8. I've been using the light gauge 6 string sets on both my fretted and fretless basses. I find them superior to every other string including DR.

They are so consistent that the intonation never has to be reset when I change strings.
    The articulated winding gives them a really soft feel.

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Can you find them locally, or do you mail order them? I am interested in trying a set for my Yamaha.

Mark

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool. :cool: my work here is done :D

11. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I mail ordered 'em from juststrings.com.

Maybe you should try Bass Central first.

12. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Three cheers for JT whose outstanding praise for the SR2000 saved my faith in my Spector!

Hip hip HOORAY! Hip hip HOORAY! Hip hip HOORAY!

Btw, I strung with the medium gauge set. The .128 gauge B-string is KILLER. Is the light gauge set equally fatal? Less fatal? Merely crippling or incapacitating?

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i dig the SR2000's lots...i have them on both of my six strings (warwick thumb n/t and a usa curbow rockwood) and my fretted five string---the fretless is still waiting for it's set. i ended up getting a much better sound with these than the slowounds i had been addicted to forever. i haven't yet tried TI's, yet, though

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Lee sigs are my favorite roundwound set right now.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    eek...i don't like the will lee guages, though

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    me neither. the a, d and g are a bit heavy for my tastes.

17. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Well, I found out the the plano GC had several sets of them in stock, though they were in the 7 string pack. The salesman gave them to me for $29, which is less than I could have mail ordered the 5 string set for. Hey JT, you want a couple of orphan strings?
    Man, are these strings bright! I know some people like that sizzle sound, but it will take a while to get used to. Maybe about the time I get used to them, they will probably warm up a little bit.

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    uh huh...i've found the same thing. a little too much tension, in my opinion.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got a brand new set waiting to be put on my seven-string this weekend.

Hey JT, how do you get ahold of the non-Will Lee gauged set? It's the only seven-string pack I've seen from them, and I haven't seen individuals for sale online before.

20. How's the mid-range of SR2000's compared to Blue Steels? (Or Slowounds, Neptoon?)