SR400 or Fender Zone Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bowlcut7, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Bowlcut7

Aug 2, 2004
    Just wanted to know which you guys recommended for me to get, playing rock. I heard a sound clip of the Fender, it sounded great! but it does cost more new then the Ibanez.

Also, can anyone give me a good price for a used one, I havent had the chance to go to look but I at least wanted to see what you all thought they would go for. The Fender I saw for $595 new and the Ibanez was $399 new. Granted I wouldnt want a new one because of the price, I would like to keep it down due to the fact that this is my first bass.

Thanks again in advance.

2. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I would suggest you go with the Fender Zone bass. I didn't even know about this bass until you posted this but I went out and did a bit of research on it. Seems like a really nice bass. I especially liked the sunburst finish they offer. Both basses would have the PJ pickup configuration and I played nothing but Ibanez SR400's before I started playing Stingrays so I can tell you that the Ibanez pickups are great... but the reason I think the Fender may be the way to go is I personally think the Fender is a nicer looking bass and the resale should be better if you decide to move on in the future.

Playability is the ultimate deciding factor to me when I buy a bass so you really need to go to a guitar store and see which one feels better in your hand. Either will suit rock music.

Back when I was playing Ibanez's I used to pick up Fenders in the music store all the time b/c I liked the way they look but they never FELT right to me. I think Fender has made several improvements in their manufacturing lately. I played a Jazz in a store the other day that had a great feel to it.

Good luck either way!
  3. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I would recommend the Fender based on my negative experience with the SR400. Sound wasn't very good, the input jack always made noise, and the P pickup died twice. Resale value is bad as previously mentioned.. I only got 160 for it with a hard case included.
  4. Zone. I was never impressed by the SR400.
  5. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Between a Fender Zone, & an Ibanez SR400,,, the easy choice is the Fender Zone...

BUT, for $600 bucks, I think there are better choices out there... Like a Lakland 5501, G&L Tribute 2500, or an MTD Kingston Heir.
  6. Bowlcut7

Aug 2, 2004
    The Fender is what I would really like, but like I said, I was going for used guitars so I dont really have $600 to spend. So based on what everyone is saying is that the Fender is probably better but will cost me more for a used one because it holds its value better? Around how much would the price drop from its new price??
  7. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Check eBay.. That'll be your best bet..
  8. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    If you like the Fender Zone, check on the Fender Prophecy. It's a PJ that was manufactured a few years back, and there are some really nice ones out there. There is a neck through version as well as a bolt on. They are really nice looking and are good players. There is a nice red one on eBay now if you want to see what they look like.