Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jyag22, Feb 7, 2006.

1. jyag22

Feb 6, 2006
    :confused: im curious as to whether or not the sr400 is a good bass. i would like to hear your comments because i might buy one used with new strings for 350. I know already they cost 450 new (or 400) is the price good for used?
  2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Regarding the price, 300 is too high a price to pay for a used one. They are selling brand new (although that model is discontinued) for 399 at zzsounds or samedaymusic. I believe they typically sell for around 200 to 225 or so on Ebay.

Regarding quality, I have heard that they are decent value for money. Check out user reviews on but also try one out if possible.
  3. My opinion is that no, it's not a good bass. I'm not saying it will fall apart on you but I think there are lots of better choices at that price range.
  4. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    The SRX 400 was discontinued. The new SR400's are actually nice basses. I just picked one up at GC for $379.00 tax included. It is worth it. Neck is nice and smooth, no high frets, no rough frets. A good handful of sounds can be had and it offers a nice, tight, chocolaty tone. The rosewood board on mine doesn't have a drop of stain or a smidge of putty on it. It looks like a fine Madagascar rosewood. I picked the one in Vintage Blue, beautiful. Don't get that used one though, put out the extra $80.00 and get a new one.
  5. Yeah.. Just totally bash a bass and don't leave an explanation, that makes sense...

...Coming from an owner of an SR406, they are teriffic bass guitars. The stock Ibby pickups work very well, and have a great versatility in the tonal department. (P/J, you can't beat it!) I have the older model with the jack on the side, older bridge, and 5 control knob layout, and I absolutely love it. Flawless condition when it comes to playability. The all maple bass makes for a really beautiful eye-catching piece, and a very comfortable one too. I got mine used on eBay for $350 (keep in mind, mine is a 6 string) and I don't regreat paying that much at all. Excellant bass for the money.

6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I paid $375 new for mine in 2001. Great bass, still have it to this day, more gigs on that instrument than anything and it's problem free. A while back I sold the preamp and pickups to a friend and wired mine passive with Dimarzios and love it just the same, different, but not better. I'll never get rid of this bass.
  7. as a person that plays a 1998 sr400 that has never had a single problem in its life, i would say that it is a great bass. the bass is not mine, but i would love to own it. fast neck, great sound, cool knob layout, sexy look, all over great build quality. such a good bass for the money and it holds up like nothing else

8. Pretty simple, I don't like the feel or the sound or the looks or anything that says "good bass" to me. I didn't "totally bash" it, this guy wants opinions.
  9. I always figured that when you give someone your opinion on something, that you should give them a reason why you think that about the particular item... Otherwise you're just confusing that person with your ramblings.

Glad to see I'm not the only guy here who LOVES his SR400!

10. I always figured that if you have a negative opinion about a bass that somebody owns, that person will get all huffy and offended and will refuse to drop it after you give the reasons he's asked for and will allude to your concise two-sentence post as incoherent ramblings.

Oh snap guess I was right
  11. Wow, dude, grow up. Serisously, who pissed in your cheerios?