SR5: active -> passive options?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by msquared, Feb 5, 2006.

1. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've been using my SR5 as my sole electric for a while now, and while I've had it I've gotten a few ideas for mods for it. The one that's endured as my favorite is to swap the stock pickup out for a Nordstrand MM5.2 and go entirely passive. I've got the MM5.2 sitting on the parts shelf down in the studio but haven't wanted to dig into my bass since I didn't have a backup.

But now I have a JO5 inbound, hopefully to be here before the end of the week. And tearing into the SR5 is going to be the first order of business when the new axe "bass meld" is complete.

The only dilemma I'm having is what to do when I rewire. The easy way out is to run the pickup's four wires into the built-in five way switch, run the output of that into a simple vol/tone circuit, and call it good. But there are four knobs to play with and a separate pair of wires for each coil on the pickup. I'm wondering if something like vol/tone for each coil would be doable (or even worth messing with) but am open to other ideas of course. Has anyone messed with anything like this?

FWIW, it's got a maple board and I usually string it with TI flats.