Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SR5 and B100R settings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by osoblu, Mar 10, 2003.

1. osoblu

osoblu

Feb 22, 2002
    North Shore, MA
    Hi everyone. I am lucky enough to have both a Stingray5 and an Ampeg B100R. I did a lot of my research here from all your past posts and I THANK YOU. I'm a bit overwelmed with all the knobs and switches though. Can any owners of the same please describe how they have all their settings and for what type of sound. P sound, Jazz or slap. I'm particularly interested in the best setting for a slap/pop sound. Thanks
    Scott

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Set the controls on the Ray flat. On the B-100R try this:

Bass 5
    Low Mid 3
    High Mid 3
    Treble 5

Leave the voicing switches in the up (off) position. Use the 0dB input, set the Gain at 5 and then bring the Master up for desired volume. If you're seriously overdriving the input the red LED will light up a lot. If that does happen you may want to switch to the cut input (-15dB).

This should give you a nice full sound as a starting point. A very meaty slap sound is easy with this setting. From there you can add or subtract whatever you want. If you want more highs, I'd try dialing them in from the bass itself first.

Remember, you can sometimes get the desired affect by turning the amp up, at lower settings highs and lows can be harder to hear.

Hope that helps.

3. osoblu

osoblu

Feb 22, 2002
    North Shore, MA
    Thanks Brad - Great suggestions.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No problem... I love this amp.

:bassist:

5. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    In an old BP there was a review of the B50R and they gave a "Duck Dunn" setting. I know it's not the exact same amp, but I thought I'd pass along the info in case anyone wanted a "Duck Dunn" sound starting point.

Bass - 2:00 o'clock
    Low Mid - 12:00 o'clock
    High Mid - 10:00 o'clock
    High - 9:00 o'clock

When I use my Lakland I bump up the High Mid & Highs settings 1 notch. But with a P & flats, it works great.

6. osoblu

osoblu

Feb 22, 2002
    North Shore, MA
    I'd be very happy with a Duck Dunn sound.:D
    Thanks.