1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SR5 compared to Sterling Ray 35??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubinga5, Nov 29, 2010.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    I had a SR5 with a matching headstock and it was so good...wish i hadnt have sold it...Q is what are the Ray35's like...can i expect the same quality...spec wise are they the same...where are they made?

thanks..

2. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    What Up Mate...
    It appears that we play pretty much the same type of basses ;)

I have a Ray 35 and prefer it over the American made one (might sound strange but true).

You cannot go wrong with it.

3. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I haven't played the Ray 35 yet, but I have played several Ray34s and SB14s. And like basswave said - I don't know if it's a psychological thing with the price and all - but I preferred the tone of the overseas models. (I believe they are manufactured in Indonesia.)

Construction and playability is almost identical to the US models as well.

4. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I played a Ray 34 today and it was BETTER playing and sounding than the US Stingrays hanging right next to it. WAY better setup too! Price just makes the choice gravy.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Ray35 is very close to the SR5 in quality. The SR5 has a nicer preamp, IMO and a smoother low end, but the tone is extremely close between the two basses. The SR5 has a smoother satin finished neck, but otherwise the Ray35 is very similar.