1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SR5 HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DubBeats CB, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Can the SR 5 HH sound like a single pup stingray? Or will it be slightly different? Like if the bridge pup is soloed....

Also...is there a pan pot on the HH or is the toggle switch all there is for pup switching?

EDIT: How is the slapping on the HH..... is there enough room between neck and the first pup?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Slightly different, but very close. Only differences is the slight difference in the electronics/preamp.

Toggle switch = pickup switching.

Slapping is okay once you get used to it.

3. bump for more info

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was in a hurry before but Ill try to give you some more info now.

As previously stated, there is no toggle, only the 5 way switching, which allows for position 1 (coils 1 and 2) 2 ( 1 and 4 ) 3 ( 1 2 3 4) 4 (2 and 3) and 5 (4 and 5).

Putting it in position 1 will be the same as a Stingray5, single humbucker model.

Slapping is a little tight at first, especially if you have a technique where you pop especialy far away from the neck. In order to slap comfortably, you will have to tighten up your technique.

I got my HH sr5 8 days ago and slapping has since become comfortable.

here is mine
    http://dyn.u13.net:6080/host/scott/Basses 004.jpg

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The basic paralell Stingray sound is available with the switch all the way back. The "single coil" and series settings from the sterling and SR5 are not. I don't miss those, and I really like some of the neck-pickup tones, so I think the HH is great. I still use position 1 more than anything else.

Slapping is fine for me, in fact, for the "slap" there is no difference ... its the "pop" that might take an adjustment. I've always popped as close as possible to the end of the fingerboard anyway for tone and playability reasons, so it wasn't even really an adjustment for me.

I love my HH. When comparing different EBMM models, its important to remember that there are subtle tone variations from bass to bass, without even considering the pickups. So saying that on SR5HH doesn't quite capture the paralell bridge pickup tone of another SR5H would likely have more to do with the woods than the pickups. IMO.

6. Thanks guys....I've been going back between the stingray and HH stingray...I used to own a SR5 a while ago nd i regret selling it.....I think I'll go SR5 HH because when i had my stingray i usually used the parallel mode anyways

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If that is the case than you will definitely be able to get the tone you are used to by using the position 1.

You definitely wont regret it. What color scheme are you thinking?

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :hyper:

The bridge pup is in the exact same place as a single bucker Ray's. In position 1 it IS a Stingray.

9. I'm thinking about going with the transparent teal color, it just seems to fit me.... i do like the color you chose though figjam