Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SR5,Lakland 55-02 or other for the most aggresive tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Apr 6, 2005.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Which one has the most growl and can cut through the best, and get a wider array of tones?

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Wider array of tones, cuts through = Lakland 55-02

Most growl, cuts through = SR5

The Lakland has awesome growl, but the Ray slightly beats it, I'm gonna be going with the Lakland when I get enough money.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would say SR5 but it doesnt get that great of a wide range of tones. Id say G&L 2500.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    From having owned one, the 55-02 isn't nearly as aggressive as the SR5. It's a very laid-back, in-the-mix bass from my experiences. Still, with that J/MM pickup combination, you can get almost any variety of tone you want out of it. I wish I kinda still had it, as I'm not really doing the "rock out" thing anymore. Gah well. :) Learn as you go. (It was pretty, too- deluxe Natural top with maple neck- purty purty!)

5. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I totally forgot about G & L...hmm. How do they stack up?

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There was a guy on Ebay who sold CD's of soundclips with grooves comparing carious settings on SR5's and Lakland 55-02's, and with nearly every one, I preferred the SR5.

The 55-02 sounded more "polished" but lacked the growl and punch of the SR5.

Of course, opinions vary, this one's only mine . . . :ninja:

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Zon Sonus, by a mile.

8. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    G&L will give you more of the SR5 aggressiveness with the 55-02 flexibility. Here's a dutch site with clips. Follow the yellow arrows until the switches are lit up. Then select different switch combinations to hear clips. BTW, if buying used an L2500 will cost you less than the other two.

http://www.jic.nl/GL2004/TriSonic/TriSonic.htm

9. I see you say 'or other' in the title. Warwick Thumb? They are agressive and growly.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Nick reccomending a Warwick!? What is the world coming to?

Do the Ray. The Lakland is a great value, but it just doesn't have that sound that I love.

11. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Hey, that's an awesome little thing the Dutch have there! lots o' fun to tinker with... gave me major GAS for one.

I suppose for anyone who doesn't own a G&L and wants to know what the last switch is:

Brug = Bridge pick-up
    Hals = neck pick-up
    beide = both

some fatty sounds there...man I used to have major gas for a 55-02 but the L-2500 is damn near overpowering it...

12. pools

pools

Feb 28, 2004
    i had a wonderfull natural SR5...i sold it when i tryed the 55-02..!!!
    i really love the lakland it can give you a variety of sound and if you know a little bit it can be very very aggressive, but the thing that makes me love it is the playability of the neck the best i could find to groove .....no SR5 no G&L go for lakland if you want something special!!!! :D

13. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Get the Lakland upgraded with the Duncan Bassline pick-ups.

14. I know it's in a completly different price-class but Wal should be mentioned when talking about aggressive, cut through tone.

Not that that's the only thing they can do.

15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    ill say a 55-02 with duncans instead of standar barts, the bart MM p-up isnt really an MM is just a twin jazz while the duncan is a real MM p-up

16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Got a G&L L-2500 USA. GREAT for rock and agressive playing!

17. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They are aggressive as hell. ;)

They can be tamed but they don't want to be.

-Bazz-

18. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Bah theres nothing wrong with the barts.. though you do speak the truth the Barts are warm while the SD have the bite... Dont get me wrong you can get some growl with the barts, just takes a little eqing. Everyone brings up the point of the SD sounding more like this or more like that... why judge a bass on how close it sounds to another bass? I like to think my Lakland has its on sound thats just perfect for me.

19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Dont get me wrong either ;) , IMO the duncans get that agresive tone thats been asked here. Realize that its being compared with the SR5 and the G&L L-2X00 line. The barts would stand as the hi-fi option wich i also like.

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that Laklands are great basses to the extent that I have played them. I have played a 94-55 that is in a local store a bunchg of times and I would love to own it. I would definitely place the 94-55/55-02 sound more in the Fender Jazz camp with a bit more power and edge. I really think that if you want Stingray aggressiveness and edge, get the SR5. They run about the same as a 55-02 and they are way the heck cheaper than a 94-55. If you can't afford both a Lakland and an SR5, look for a Peavey USA Millennium 5, you can get them cheap and they get a vibe very similar to that of the 55-02 with the same 35" scale and wide string spacing.