1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SR5, Memory better than the reality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rodneyat, Mar 31, 2009.

1. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll preface by saying I mean no offense to any SR5 fanatics out there. That said, until today. The only bass that I have ever regretted selling was a mid-90s Stringray 5 in honeybust with maple board. I ran across some pictures of it a couple of weeks ago and it brought back fond memories. For a long time, I have been keeping my eye out for one. Today, I ran across one..a few years newer than the one I had. Otherwise, the same bass. I could not get into it! It was more of a spacing thing than anything else. I have become used to wider spacing and I could not play this thing. I keep pulling the G string of the side of the fretboard, missing frets etc. It still sounded like a Stingray..I just could not play it.

So, alas, I no longer lust after my old bass. Stingrays are still great basses..
    Just thought I would share...

2. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    I have the same problem with pulling the G off of the board. Not for me either though I like the look and sound.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I seem to recall this being somewhat of an issue with SR5s in general. I know it was on the one I owned several years ago, my tech remedied this by cutting + installing a new nut, after which I no longer experienced this.

I hear ya overall... I always like the SR5 though have since 'standardized' on wider string spacing, and narrower spaced instruments feel odd in my hands at this point. Nothing insurmountable, just prefer the wider gaps between strings.

4. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Hey they're not for everybody, but I think you would be amazed at how quickly you could adjust and it not be a problem. :cool:

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    +1

I have a hard time playing wide spaced 5s after getting so used to the Ray5 string spacing.