Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(SR5)My first 5 string came today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tattooed, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Sihpped from texas to cali and it was still in tune. I love this thing.
    [​IMG]

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sweet! SR5s are special, aren't they?

3. Suhhweet bass mate!

:bawl: I love my 'Ray.....

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    That bass looks great, congrats. :)

5. :bassist: Thanks for the compliments on it.

6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Is that the cherryburst, cause I have about a 3yr old, cherryburst w/ standard solid white pickguard and rosewood frtbrd. Some of you may have seen my endless posts here about how I want to trade/sell my Sray 5 for something/anything else, cause I just cannot find my sound on it. I've been mostly using my 55-01 with a GBE 600 thru either my Goliath III 4x10 or Avatar B212 cab and just loving it. Before I got the 55-01 3 months ago and the B212 one month ago, I mostly used my sray with the the GBE and 1 or 2 SWR cabs and just was not happy with my sound. Well I am real close to making a trade with this guy for a custom bass or a fretless 5, yet to be determined. Well at our regular friday gig tonite I figured I am going to play my Sray one last time before she goes away for whatever deal I decide on. Tonite just to try something different I decided to use my Sray, with my backup GK001 RBI and the B212. Man what a great gig I had tonite, my sound was awesome. I've played this club every Friday since the middle of April. I've used my 55-01 with either the SWR or B212 cabs and either the GBE or GK amps and I have been really happy with my sound. But tonite I tried the Sray with the GK1001 and the B212. WOW my sound was awesome tonite. I actually found what I thought was a great jazz sound with this setup, I mean great, one thing I did that I have read here numerous times was back off the bass settings and use more mids. I decided tonite that I need to hang onto my Sray and give her some more time for me to learn how to EQ her better, thanks to some posts here from TBers saying that alot of folks don't know how to EQ this bass to get the great tones it can offer and I now believe they have a point. I still like the sounds I get with my 55-01 but now I can stop wondering if I am making a good trade or bad mistake by trading my Sray and getting another bass I might regret. Now I think my ray needs a white pearloid pickgard, to apologize for almost sending her on her way. Patience, is a virtue. Well that and maybe perserverance and listening when many (TBers) offer similar advice to correct a common problem too. Sorry to the proposed recipient, but I think I'll keep her. :rolleyes:

7. The color's called burnt apple. Just like this-->:bassist:

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Tattooed, that's a beautiful bass.
    Congratulations and I hope you like the way it sounds.

Have you tried the middle (single+phantom coil) position?
    It's what I use 95% of the time.
    Very articulate, punchy tone and the 'B' string notes sound more tonally uniform with the other strings & tighter.

I like my low end a little on the lean side; it seems to cut through better at gigs.
    I usually use just a little bass boost with the SR5 controls, mids usually flat or slight boost, and treble cut a fair bit (but then I boost the treble and presence on my Dem 201S -- just gives the whole sound a tighter punch).

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Tatooed, congrats on your SR5. ErnieD, I'm glad you hung in there with your SR5. SR5's are capable of some pretty substantial tonal variation if you work with them. I hvae made up my mind that my current SR5 will be a bass that I keep forever because I have owned much more expensive and "fancier" basses, but none were actually better.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Congrats on the Ray5. I dig the Burnt Apple finish except wanted a translucent finish so i got Cherry Sunburst. I've had mine for about 2.5 Years now-it just gets better with age, yeah it has it's flaws, but it will be my work horse bass until i can afford to get something substantially more expensive/boutiquey [think Norstrand, Conklin, JP Basses], and even then-i think this would still be my work horse. It's got a few battle scars and needs a fret dress, but hey-they're signs that it has been played. I hope you enjoy yours as much as i have mine. :bassist:

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    That thing is hot. I'd love to see it with a white pearloid pickguard but if it were mine I'd probably have to leave it like that.

The 55-01 is a great instrument as well. I really miss mine.

12. That is a sweet bass, congrats on the buy

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Burnt Apple finish is one of my favorites of any make or model. Nice!

14. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have an SR5 in that same color and finish. It's an awesome bass. After 2 years I put a Bassline MM pickup and changed the preamp for an Aguilar OBP-3. I now use flatwounds in it and I just love it; it still has the power and punch of MM basses but now it's a lot more clean and articulate. Great, Great bass.

Enjoy!!!