SR5 Nut Slots

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Oldie but noobe, Apr 14, 2005.

1. I have noticed My SR5 the A & D slots are cut deep enough so that the strings are all the way down in the slot. If you took a straight edge or one that would follow the curve of the nut it would not touch the string. I thought the string should be in the groove only about half way.
    BTW I have TI flats on there and I love them. I will keep those.

So the questions are;

1. Does it matter?
    2. If it does what should I replace it with ( Bone Graphtech)

Or should I shut up and play :D
  2. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    I am no proffesional on this topic so if I am wrong, someone please correct me!

Generally the nut is supposed to hold just half of the string. This is the minimum to prevent the string from popping out of the slot every time you play the string. The nut can have a dampening effect, however, if it is pinching the string (i.e. the slot is too narrow) and this problem can be multiplied if the nut is too tall. In theory, I guess the slot shouldn't hold even half the string: but it must if it is to hold it in place.

As far as replacing the nut: it would be far easier to just file the top of the nut down to the proper height. Be carefull not to go too far though. If you do have to replace the nut, keep in mind that softer materials like graph tech or slip-stone will not yeild the sustain of something hard like bone. IMO graph tech and slip stone nuts only do any good on instruments with tremelos, where an extra-slippery nut slot is needed.
  3. That make sense, thanks.