Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SR5 piezo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nastyn8c, Feb 27, 2005.

1. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    If someone has tried the SR5 piezo, I would like to know how it compares to the SR5 and other basses, espescially in versatility of tone.

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I was just going to post the same question.

3. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have an SR5 with piezo and I would certainly recommend paying the extra. They do offer a very different sound to the standard SR tone and you can dial in however much you want or just totally bypass the humbucker.

Alot of people when trying to tame the Ray just cut the treble and mids and boost the bass, but the piezo tone doesn't sound muffled or bass heavy. I would describe the SR piezo tone as being sesitive enough to play with an acoustic guitar. It also transforms the SR into a more versatile instrument.

4. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I've had my SR5 with the piezo for a couple of years and would recommend it. It will give you a wider range of tonal options vs the standard SR5. I never gave it a thought when I was buying my SR5 but they had one at the shop and I was able play it before hand . If your into vareid style of music you should give it serious thought .

5. I had a fretless SR5 with a piezo pickup.

This is very subjective - I found that the piezo added a bit more 'warmth and grainyness' :eyebrow: to the tone.

It really complimented the standard pickup, and sounded great blended or on its own. They are matched perfectly with regards to output volume.

Definitely try one if you're looking at Ray5's.

6. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    I've Had my SR5 for about 6 months now, and I'm absolutely loving what the piezo brings to the tone. Like stated prior, you can totally kill the piezo for the traditional SR5 tone, or dial in as much or as little as you like.

It's hard to describe, but it adds a sweet dimension to the tone (maybe 'grainyness' as Nakedfish said). I'm having a custom being built w/ piezos, and am considering having piezos added to one of my my current basses.

Mikey/

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Does the Piezo option use the same bridge? I have been told that it uses a different bridge.

Of course I have never seen one, the Ernie Ball website does not show a picture of it, and the guys at the local guitar shop and GC have never had one in either so there is no way to verify this claim.

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Tried it briefly in a store, liked it for fretless but did not like it for fretted... but I haven't liked any piezos on fretted basses so far.

On fretless they can impart more of a woody, organic sound and although they lots o' pick up string noise (w/roundwounds especially), I usually have the tone dialed down so this is a non-issue.

On fretted, I often don't have the tone dialed-down, so the string and fret noise is problematic... also don't care for the woody/organic sound as much for fretted.