Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SR5 / SUB5 Pickup wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Jun 8, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ok...here's my question. I've got the hankering to hard wire my SUB5 in series as opposed to stock parallel. I've checked with EB and while they don't "approve" they did tell me the pickup wouldn't fry the preamp in series. They would not tell me however which wires to connect. I've got two wires connecting the pickup to one end of the preamp and two wires connecting to the other. (don't remember the colors..ugh...). Anyone familiar with SR5 pickups and which wires are hot and ground...and for which coil? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    THx,
    -Bazz-

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Don't know about the subs, but the SR5's are both in parallel AND series, depending on the position of the switch. If the sub isn't the same design, using the SR5 as a reference will be fruitless.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    True.

My dilemma is that i've got 4 wires...2 hot and 2 ground and I don't know which hot to connect to which ground.

Thx,
    -Bazz-

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Got the reply from EB today. No can do. 5 string SUB pickups are factory wired in parallel. The 4 wires I was seeing were actually the hot and ground for the pickup and the hot and ground for the battery. DUH! Oh well....prolly best to leave it alone anyway.
    -B-

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ok. I want to go series on my SUB and now I realize that I can't with the stock pickup....it's hardwired in parallel like the Stingray 4. That's fine. I've decided to go ahead and buy an SD Stingray 5 replacement pickup and drop it in my SUB wired in-series. I emailed SD to see if this would work (I can't for any reason see why it wouldn't) and here is the reply I received from SD...are they just trying to sell me the preamp as well? Can any of you TBers tell me if the below is correct?
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

Yes, indeed.
    Thanks

XXXXX

-----Original Message-----
    From: Anderson, Barry (TIFS) [mailto:Barry.Anderson@guarantygroup.com]
    Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 5:33 AM
    To: XXXXX
    Subject: RE: Basslines_Pickups_and_Electronics

Gotcha...but this isn't for the 5 string Stingray. I have the 5 string SUB. Would I still need to change the preamp?

Thx,
    -Barry-

Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 6:41 PM
    To: Anderson, Barry (TIFS)
    Subject: RE: Basslines_Pickups_and_Electronics

Hi Barry.

Actually, for the 5 string...you need to change pickup and preamp....to Basslines.

Thanks

XXXX

From: World Wide Web Owner [mailto:www@sduncan.securesites.net]
    Posted At: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 7:56 AM
    Posted To: General Product Info
    Conversation: Basslines_Pickups_and_Electronics
    Subject: Basslines_Pickups_and_Electronics

The following online request has been submitted through Customer Service Request:

First Name: Barry
    Last Name: Anderson
    Email: barry.anderson@guarantygroup.com
    Question: SMB-4/5A
    Can this pickup (5 string version) be used with the stock Ernie Ball 2 band preamp?
    Thx,
    -Barry-