Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SR5 Sure Sounds Good!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Today I was killing time at a local music store A/B-ing my SR5 with a Fender Deluxe 5. The Fender Deluxe 5 was nice and since I have terminal GAS, I was thinking about a possible switch. Then another bassist introduced himself and we started to play. We are both about the same age and have funk backgrounds and that guy is a great player. After some tentative playing, I put down the Fender and picked up the SR5 because I know it so much better. Once I got my sound on a nice Ampeg (Portasound 250, I think), I could really play along. We ended up doing some fun stuff inn which we took turns soloing. The bottom line is that Stingray really responds to me. I think GAS is a curse sometimes because I know from experience that it can make you get rid a perfectly good instrument for something that it less than what you already have. I know from experience that me and SR5s go together like Rum and Coke or hotdogs and mustard. I've got to remember that the next time I look at some bass and want to get rid of my Stingray!

2. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Different strokes for different folks! I have a similar experience but it went the other way. I've been an SR5 fan for as long as I can remember and it was my main working bass. I was in store a couple of months ago and picked up a 2004 MIA Deluxe 5 and was totally blown a way by it and actually wound up trading my SR5. Playability was quite similar but the Fender (for me anyway) just had so much to offer in the way of different tones. As I do a lot of session work and play in some cover bands it has proved to be a lot more usable. No doubt in a couple of years I'll walk into a store and find a beaut of an SR5 and I'll be considering a trade. Such is the nature of GAS... there is no cure, we are sad. :D

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    This debate is happening with me right now, though both sides ring true. I have had SR4s and played a lot of SR5s, bought a J Dlx (then added a J Retro Dlx), but now want to get the SR5 again and throw a U Retro Dlx in it.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think Jazz DLX's sound great too. I just think that the SR5 really give me something unique that the Jazz doesn't. I think the SR5 can give me my sound. I think that I have a bias towards single pup basses. My first good bass was a single pup Rick 4000 and I am used to using my hands and positions to get different sounds out of my bass. A single pup bass that really intrigues me now is the Cort Curbow. That inexpensive little bass sounds fantastic! It has more bass and low mids than the Stingray but it slaps like dream too.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I sure know what you're saying. I own the MIA Jazz Deluxe V and I love it but I've had gas for an SR5 for years. I did buy a SUB5 prior to the MIA Jazz Deluxe and while I know it's not the exact same tone as an SR5 I believe it can get close. Turns out after owning the SUB5...I loved everything about it but the tone. The playability (man...it played so easily), fit and action. But I just couldn't get into the that high-mid, trebly tone. I then sold it and bought a MIA Jazz Deluxe V and viola...there it was...the tone that I hear in my head. I still have gas for a true SR5 (not the SUB5). I think they are beautifully crafted instruments with an interesting tone. I believe the tone on the SR5 can be tamed moreso than on the active SUB5...but when I plug in my Jazz Deluxe V and play (strung w/Chromes)...it still makes me smile.
    -Bazz-

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    This is pretty much how I feel about Rickenbackers. The tone, feel, and looks appeal to me like no other bass. It's genetic encoding, I've deduced. ;)

7. U've surely found your bass, I agree that SR5 is a great bass, a friend of mien got one and I'm used to play it...I prefer that sound than Fender 5 just my opinion...

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It's exactly how I feel about 4 stringers. 5 stringers...has to be a jazz but my old 4003...damn...no other 4 stringer felt as good, sounded as good or played as good to me.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    One thing I want to encourage here at TalkBass is for everyone to listen with their ears, and not their eyes. I think it is way too easy for us to get caught up in the hot bass of the month club and blow money on something that is really it for us. I remember how Abraham Laboriel played that inexpensive Goya bass and sounded wonderful because that was his bass. Marcus Miller plays a moded Jazz, but still it's a heavy 1970's Jazz. I remember when nobody wanted those things. I think when we all run for the next hot thing, we lose a chance to be individuals, and that is such a big part of what makes music cool in the first place!

The SR5 is my baby, and a Cort Curbow 5 will be in my future too. Those are what works for me, whatever works for anyone else, go for it!

10. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

[​IMG]

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've mostly been a Fender/MusicMan guy over the years. Back when I was playing four-string, a pre-EB Cutlass and EB Sabre were two of my trusty workhorses.

Now I'm playing five-string. I definitely agree: the SR5 sounds awesome! The only reason I don't currently own one is the narrow string spacing. I wish EB-MM would come out with a wide fiver! I've emailed them, begging them to do so... they basically said "thanks for the suggestion", which I interpret as "not bloody likely, pal". :(

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The weird thing about the SR5 is that I know it has close string spacing, but it always feels comfortable to me.

14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I agree. Other narrow spaced fivers just don't feel as good to me as an SR5.

I've thought about trading away my Bongo 4-HH a few times in the last year. Each time I've thought about it I'm like "Well let me play my Bongo solidly for an hour or two and see if I'm really sure about this."

Every single time my Bongo has impressed me again. I think it's destined to be mine forever.

15. Fuzzbass

The SR5 is an incredibly popular bass. Some would say that it has "normal" string spacing, and I'm weird for preferring wide fivers. I won't argue with that. I'm the first to say that my problem with the SR5's string spacing is just that: *my* problem. It isnt' the fault of the bass. :p

But I still wish MM would offer a wide spacing option!

16. Fuzzbass

Hooooold on thar', Babalu... is that a transparent guard on that SR5?

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Looks like it, doesn't it? But it isn't.

That finish is Copperhead or something like that...built for last year's NAMM but GC bought them all up. Sure to be fairly rare soon enough.

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I LOVE stange colored SR5's. That copper one is great, and I love the pearl lavender ones that pop up on Ebay every once in a blue moon. The stranger the better for those basses.

I hate the sound of my SR5 solo'd, but its my main performing bass, it just sits in a live mix so perfectly I can't keep away from it.

19. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The SR5 is the Jazz Bass of 5 stringers, in the sense that it is THE main production instrument most cats can afford that gets nearly everything right. Also, whoever says it is a one trick pony has never worked with it. They're great instruments.

20. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Yeah, the SR5 is a killer bass. I've been seeing lots of players with 'em. Gotta say the string spacing is just a tad bit tight for me. Maybe if a played one for a few days I'd get used to it.