SR5 vs. Cirrus 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Feb 22, 2006.

1. I may be faced with this decision. My main bass is a Mike Lull MV5 which I would describe as the perfect Jazz bass. This will be a #2 bass, I play Classic Rock, Funk, Worship, Blues and maybe soon Jazz type stuff. I looking for feedback from people who have experience with both, buiild quality, voicing (how it sits in the mix), weight, balance are all factors for me. Thanks to all,
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I can tell you that the Cirrus cuts really well through the mix or sits just in it depending on how you set your preamp. I use it for all the styles you mention. Either bass would be a good choice IMO. The Cirrus 5 generally weighs around 9lbs and has a nice thin/flat neck. Construction is top notch and the detailing is excellent. Mine balances very well on both the lap and the strap.

Have you played both and decided which one felt better and sounded better or are you stuck in a buy online situation?
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    SR5 , is obviously my choice. Peaveys sound good to my ears too but lack the booty.
  4. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I disagree ;) but I would like a better opportunity to find out...either way great basses. I actually have GAS for an SR5.
  5. It would probably be a TB trade!
  6. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    The Cirrus is going to be a bit more versatile with its two pickups and active EQ, but either choice is a good one!

Have you tried both head-to-head in a shop? I found the Cirrus to be a little thinner across the bottom end than a SR, but the EQ fixed that nicely.

This is the kind of choice we should all face - 'do I get this fabulous bass or this other fabulous bass?'
  7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Not to go off topic, but what about a carvin LB75 or Icon 5? I really love my fretless LB75 and am contemplating getting an Icon 6. The build quality and finish from carvin is top notch and you can't beat the price. Hell, you can find them on ebay all the time for $500-600. That is a deal in my book.
  8. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  9. I went with the Cirrus because I've never owned one and I'd like to check it out for myself after all the overwhelming great things I've read about them!
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What wood combo?
  11. Walnut, Pau Ferro with the Custom Shop Pre-Amp which is supposed to brighten it up a bit.
  12. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Tough call. The B on both are awesome! I really think I would choose the EB in the end though. It seems a much better compliment to the Lull you have.
  13. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    I wouldnt even compare the sr5 to any place near the build quality of a Cirrus! look at the price! ive played both and the Cirrus cuts thru any sound your looking for!!! im not saying the Sr5 is a bad bass its a nice bass!! but not a Cirrus!:p
  14. These kind of threads must just leave the original poster even more undecided than ever.....:D
  15. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    You are right! he should (play) both basses and make up his own mind witch is better for his style!:D
  16. I've owned a fer SR5's and they're great. In a few days I'll get the Cirrus and know for myself
  17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I guess he will just have to purchase both :D
  18. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    is everyone talking about a BXP? or American