Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SR5 with Aguilar OB3 swap???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Would this be transparent enought to retain the SR5 sound? I was mainly looking to get a full boost instead of a boost/cut as found in the stock controls. Sorry if this should be in a different group. I searched under mainy different things and cant find a comparison between the 2 and really want the boost to compete with my Spectors cut boost system but with the mid range option for the SR5.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm getting one of these to put in my '87 Warwick Streamer - my investigations have found that it's almost completely transparent with the controls set flat, even more transparent than Bartolini's also very hifi 18V 3-band preamp.

It does however offer boost and cut unlike the OBP-1 (which I prefer, I like to be able to roll off the treble or scoop the mids) and you mention that you want boost only. Despite that it's got a lot of power - up to +18dB for the bass control and +16dB for the mid and treble controls.

Alex

3. Thanks. Please post reports on playing.

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Replaced the stock pickup and pre in my SR5 with a Basslines Alnico + an OBP-3, and the sound is amazing. Much more like a 70s Stingray (which had an alnico pickup) IMO. Very Louis Johnson-esque if you want, and can sounds very modern, as well. A great feature of the OBP-3 is the choice of mid-frequency between 400 and 800 Hz... one (I forget which) sounds great for slap, the other sounds great for fingerstyle, I've got a mini-toggle on the front that allows me to switch between them. Very handy.

5. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I did the same thing on mine! I have to say that my stingray sounds more like a classic stingray as well..I find that the pre is almost completely transparent. I have a bypass switch on mine and with it bypassed completely, that Alnico pickup sounds the same. Very nice indeed. I like the fact that the controls on the OBP3 are "subtle"..Its not one extreme to the other..I'd highly recommend the Alnico pickup for any stingray.

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey Tommy! You sold me the Basslines alnico that I used, turned out awesome! A couple things I also had my tech do to the electronics, you may wanna consider as the results are pretty impressive:

1. Added a passive tone, which when rolled off + the pickup in series or parallel, yields some serious booty and authority! The bass is super-responsive and growly... I love this sound, especially if the preamp is also providing some boost (incl treble!) at the same time.

2. When I pull the volume, the signal bypasses both the volume and the passive tone pots, so goes straight to the preamp (which is also bypassable via the mini-toggle). Result is more highs/lows and a more organic sound... again, I really like this in series mode in particular. Think piano-wire tone...

I'm not an expert in the wiring myself, so can't offer too much in the way of specifics, but just a couple more options to think about...

Greg

7. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Rock on Greg! I thought I remembered your screen name from somewhere! I'll have to look into that wiring scheme you mentioned..How did you get the tone pot? Did you use a stacked knob somewhere?

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup, the knob layout is as follows:

1. Master Volume push/pull... pull bypasses master volume + passive tone
    2. Passive tone (not sure which value) push/pull... pull bypasses preamp
    3. Mid boost/cut of OBP-3
    4. Stacked knob for bass/treble of OBP-3

There's also a small mini-toggle between knobs 3 and 4 for the mid-freq selector... and the pickup selector switch is still wired series/single (no hum-cancelling coil)/parallel. Double-battery box in back.

9. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Ahh, gotcha..I'll have to investigate this..The tone feature sounds promising, indeed!