1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SR505 finish repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by unbridled, Nov 11, 2018.

1. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Has anyone found a stain or finish that is similar enough to the factory finish to help cover chips? I knew it was going to happen, but I'm upset that I'm getting chips around the output jack.

I'm tempted to experiment with colored pencils, eye liner, or something similar. If I was handy with a router, I'd put in a jack like they have on the EDA basses, or a Strat-style jack.

I'll snap some pics later.

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Minwax makes a line of finish “pens”, basically tinted laquer in a pen sized applicator. You might find a decent match with one of them, or just with their Polyshades kind of tinted poly. But it’s a losing battle with that finish. They used a commercial version of “Polyshades” by Minwax, which Looks great... for a while, but since it’s a single application, the stain stays suspended in the poly and never penetrates the wood. Any chip goes right back to bare wood, and even light use chips that finish. Great bass, crap finish, Ibanez did a Fail on this one. The only real cure is to strip it off and refin with Tru-Oil, or strip, stain, and recoat with clear poly. That finish is so thin, it’s easily just sanded off. I’ve been toying with buying a used one myself and doing just that, otherwise a superb bass. If you go the touch up route, you’ll have to find a close match, maybe “red mahogany”?
    https://www.amazon.com/Minwax-Finis...uch+up+pen&dpPl=1&dpID=41gGC4D8GAL&ref=plSrch

unbridled likes this.