1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SR506 or SBMM Ray 35?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oniman7, Jan 11, 2012.

1. This is purely a fun debate thread, as I am looking to start saving for my next bass purchase!

I suppose I should explain what I want. I want an active bass with great looks, sound, and feel. I play rock/metal (you can find two examples of my songs here: The Magistrate | Saint Augustine, FL | Rock / Progressive Rock | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation -- "Polaris" was recorded with the resident EBMM Stingray where we were recording). I need something with a modern, aggressive rock tone. However, something that can be tamed a little bit into a warm, mid-rich tone is nice as well. I don't necessarily need a 5 or 6 string in the context of the band, but at home I use the extended range a lot. I like to experiment, and will play things from metal to jazz to classical, and whatever else I can think of. I like arpeggios and full chords and the 6th string is a nice bonus for me. I also enjoy two-handed tapping from time to time. For all of these reasons, the SR506 sticks out to me.

However, I like the signature tone of the SBMM (it is probably one of my favorites out of all the bass tones I've ever heard), and I've heard they're incredibly well crafted instruments.

My favorite bands are things like Opeth, Dream Theater, and Symphony X, and these are the majority of things I'd be playing. However, I would play everything from Alice In Chains, Kansas, King Crimson, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Yes, Pink Floyd... basically a full range of rock, and whatever other fun stuff comes my way (Earth, Wind and Fire FTW). I need something versatile that could get very good tones for a wide range of music, if not perfect them.

There has been an SR506 at my local Guitar Center for 3 or 4 months now and I have fallen in love with it every time I go there. Super fast neck, amazing tone (and a huge array of them), low action, etc.

I recently posted a thread describing the general tone I'm going for here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/want-modern-aggressive-sound-842467/

Also, I'm not going to lie, this guy makes the SR506 seem very good: Symphony X - Domination (Bass Cover) - YouTube

Once again, this is thread is more for fun fantasizing than anything. I won't have the money for a good amount of time, and could always use it on other things first. However, as long as I'm going to be fantasizing about it, I figured I'd get TB's opinion.

2. magic2119

magic2119

Dec 14, 2009
    Burlington, IA
    those are 2 completely different beasts. I' m not even how I am supposed to help you choose, and your play style and the sound you want should dictate which to get. I have owned both. While I loved the 506 the EBMM's are more my style. From the way your post sounded your pretty up for a 506, so go that way. Honestly you wont be disappointed in either