Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sr506

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ladros2, Jul 18, 2005.

1. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    i think i've settled on an ibanez sr506 (whenever i can afford it). i remember playing a 505, but can anybody give me info/experience on playability and versatility?

2. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've had my SR-506 for about a month now and I love it. I've only ever played a 4 string before (since '80), so it took a few days to get accostomed to the string spacings and than an additional week or two to stop thinking the B string was an E string and the C string was a G string. But it really didn't take that long. A month later now and I don't really have those problems. The biggest problem I still have is the my right hand playing the correct strings when I'm jumping strings. I sometimes still strike the wrong one due to the spacings, but that's getting better too. :)

The tone on this instrument is excellent. The Bartolini MK1's really sound very nice and the 3 band Bartolini EQ allows for a lot of different sounds.

The neck is pretty thin from the fretboard to the back of the neck. Much thinner than what I am accostomed to with my '79 Stingray. But that's probably why this was an easy bass to get accostomed to. The back of the neck is actually kind of flat and was actually probably the most difficult thing I had to adjust to, but after getting used to it, I really like it now! It just took me a while to get used to a good place for my thumb. heh heh...

I have no problems recommending this bass to someone interested in a fairly inexpensive 6 string. If mine was stolen, I would definitely consider buying another!! ;)

Good luck and have fun!!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My two main basses being Fenders with FAT necks, I've been able to fall in love with the SR506 and as a matter of fact I'm trying to get my mitts on one soon. The neck is fast and thin, and it's easy to dial in a great tone with. I wouldn't hesitate to buy on at my earliest convenience.

4. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    thanks for the input, i really think that's what i'll save for. you've also put aside my fears about neck size, i play a g&l l-2000 with 19mm spacing.

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've owned one of these bad boys since April of 2004, and it's my main (and for the longest time 'only') axe. Let me tell you, I'm ecstatic with it. For $599, it's a steal. I'd never even played one before I ordered it. The wenge and bubinga neck, mahogany body, and Bartolini electronics sold it to me. High end features for a low-end price IMO. I need another one, to defret.

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I tried a couple of these (plus the 4 and 5 string versions) and was quite impressed by the playability, construction, and light weight. I lean more towards fat, passive tone but I was able to get a good variety of sounds. Definitely a great value for a good 6-string!

7. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    damn, now i really want one! it'll be a few months anyway, stupid school, lack of decent paying job, everything but me etc etc...