1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

SR750 with Bartolini Mk1 pickups - excessive treble

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Josh Gone, May 30, 2018.

1. Josh Gone

Josh Gone

May 28, 2015
    I picked up a very nice Ibanez SR750 to replace my SR400. The 750 has Bartolini Mk1 pickups, not the P/J model. Yesterday I was fooling around with the controls, and found the treble to be unstably sensitive. It seems like it acts as a volume knob as well as the treble knob. I'll assume the increase in volume is just the effect of the increased treble... but man is it touchy. Was this common in these basses/pickups/preamps... or do I have a problem? It's a smooth sounding bass otherwise.

I'm using the bass through a Tone Hammer 500 (that I don't really have a good grasp of how to dial in.) and a pair of SL112s

2. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast

3. Josh Gone

Josh Gone

May 28, 2015
    My (limited) understanding is the later models had the P/J pickups.

4. Josh Gone

Josh Gone

May 28, 2015
    Post #4 from this 2012 thread made me think that maybe the treble on these instruments was a little harsh.
    Ibanez SR750

5. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Upgrade the preamp for big changes.
    Upgrade pickups for fine tuning.
    If it was me I'd just shove in whatever P2 sized boutique pickups I could find at a decent $ and run it passive.

6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The earliest build of the SR750 from 2008 till 2009 came with MK1 soapbar pickups and MK1 preamp. A combination which gathered lots of dislikes. Then down the road they changed the preamp to their own EQB3S while still keeping the Bartolini MK1 soapbar pickups, before finally changed both to Carey Nordstrand Design PJ pickups and BEQ3 preamp.

If you have the earliest build, try upgrading the preamp first. If you have the 2nd version, then seems you need to upgrade both the pickups and preamp.

Josh Gone likes this.
  7. Josh Gone

Josh Gone

May 28, 2015
    I looked last night. I have the second version. I also went and sat down with it for a minute and listened/tweaked. It's not nearly as bad as what I thought I had heard before. I would consider upgrading in the future though.

I think my original complaint may have had to do with the fact that I was in a block basement, with a drum kit, and an acoustic guitar, through a small pa, with a brass slide. Or it was a fluke.

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Good info. Thank you . Do you if there is a way to determine (serial #, original of manufacture, or other/visual layout ) in fact which of the earlier pre-carey models one is looking at? I am considering an online auction purchase and am unable to play it first, so a clue as to whether I'd need an EQ changeout would be very helpful.

9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The first 2 digits of serial # should mark the year of build.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021