SRF700 straight jack adapters?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Desmarais, Jun 10, 2021.

1. David Desmarais

David Desmarais

Nov 20, 2020
    NH
    My entire rig is fed by a hardwired right angle cable into 'the runway'.
    New SRF700 (w/TUSQ nut and Barto Mk4's in case you were wondering) is straight jack only. I DO NOT want to switch the cable to a straight jack just for one bass...suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Make a short straight Cable to plug the angle cable into only needs to be a couple of inches

3. David Desmarais

David Desmarais

Nov 20, 2020
    NH
    Thx. Already planned on doing a 12" TS female to TS male (all of the ones on the web are TS to TRS or vice versa). I was hoping there was something more updated than just adding another piece to the chain.

4. David Desmarais

David Desmarais

Nov 20, 2020
    NH
    My Sweetwater guy advised against it...TRS has lower impedances (and also higher gauge/smaller wiring).
    For a guitar, maybe. For bass when frequency spectrum is critical, he strongly advised a "no".

5. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Not sure what kinds of solutions you're hoping for, but there's not going to be much of anything better than adding some kind of adapter. Either that or finding a way to move the barrel out enough to allow the right-angle plug to fit.

This is assuming that you meant that you wouldn't consider a right-angle to straight cable, and want strictly to keep your current right-angle to right-angle cable.

Sidenote, how does that SRF700 play? Seems like short of a Godin or some $4000 custom job, that's the choicest option for active electronics on a fretless I've seen.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  6. David Desmarais

David Desmarais

Nov 20, 2020
    NH
    Enjoying it very much.
    It’s like playing a really light version of a Warwick Thumb NT4 but without the neck dive.

If you decide to get one I recommend replacing the Barto Mk1 soap bars with Mk4 pickups. Same size, no addl wiring or preamp switch out needed. My guy at Sweetwater special ordered them, took a few weeks but we’ll worth it.
    Make sure you also get a case as they come naked. MC300B is the model number if I recall.

Real Soon likes this.
  7. Why is your input cable hardwired? Of all the things to crap out on a gig your main cable that suffers the most wear and tear is going to be first in line. If you can't switch to a straight cable you might as well buy a different bass.

8. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    Your sweetwater guy is wrong. That adapter will have zero effect on impedance or frequency response. It will, however, solve your output jack problem.

ddnidd1 likes this.
  9. David Desmarais

David Desmarais

Nov 20, 2020
    NH
    Other reasons but that is what stood out...the non TS-to-TS thing.
    The other main reason was because the sleeves on those adapters are just a bit too big in radius and will seat their input jack on a slight angle creating stress inside the bass's receiving jack.
    We found a solution that solves all the above:
    A 12" female-to-male TS-to-TS line that is 'weaved' into the strap. Right angle from the pedalboard into female (pulled through the strap like normal), then male into bass. Voila!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021