1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SRFF805: Ibanez Hit It Out the Park!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    image. image. i think I am going to kick that Sadowsky UV 70 V to the curb because I played an Ibanez SRFF805, and it is perfection. The neck is a thin typical SR variety, but I had no problem getting around it at all. The tone is very Bartolini, modern and mid heavy, it works well with what I play. The fanned frets feel totally natural, especially if you do not look at them.

The B string is supernatural! This is the best B I have ever heard, although my Peavey Forum V is very, very close. It has the Sadowsky beat out right. At $999 street, this bass is an incredible
    value. This bad boy will be keeping my Peaveys and P5 company before the summer is over.

Attached Files:

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I was wondering how much benefit they'd get out of that 1.5" of fanning, as opposed to the longer Novax / Dingwall version. Glad to hear it sounds good! What strings?

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the strings are D'Addarios.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I don't like fanned frets but that is just personal preference and that bass looks great.

I am super impressed with what Ibanez is doing in the $800-1000 price range. My BTB Terra Firma 6er is an incredible bass for under $1k.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1 Ibanez is truly stepping up their game in the area of affordable, but high quality basses. Their $1k basses can hang with basses that twice their price.

echo008, basslifter and Zodion like this.
  6. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

I've been keeping an ear out for the 5 string (lightweight) Ibanez basses for some time, I just have to find some in my area to check out in the PJ realm

7. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Awesome. I want to check out the 6. Wonder if the string spacing is super tight or if it's workable.

Can you compare the tone and neck to the Peavey Cirrus?

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The tone is more like a Tobias than a Cirrus. On the five, I thought the spacing was comfortable. It felt like 17mm to me.

AngelCrusher likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I did not realize that the B was only extended to 35.5" instead of 37.5" like a Dingwall. I still think the B sounded incredible.

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The SRFF805-BKS are suppose to ship from the factory with Elixir's on them (so my dealer told me). Clearly the one's on Doc's bass are D'Addario's.

Doc, you need a better camera, those photos are brutal.

TD

11. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    My Ibanez Sr1400e vnf cost $1,100 but it's damn worth it

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Taking pictures is not my gift.

13. Cool bass. When it comes to ibanez though...
    I. Want. Colors.

Ballin'bass likes this.
  14. Argassab

Argassab

Dec 16, 2014
    Cayman Islands
    Haven't tried fanned frets but interested, how does it differ from the usual?

Thanks!

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Once you stop thinking about it, you won't notice a difference.

Argassab likes this.
  16. I like the finish on that, never tried a fanned fret bass before. I just wonder how it doesn't throw the intonation off.

17. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    It does not throw off the intonation because each string has its own optimized scale length, notice the bridge arrangement.
    Very interesting that you find the Ibanez preferable to a Sadowsky Doc! But I have noticed that the top line Ibanez basses seem to have really blown the bell curve.
    Congrats on your new bass!

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Sadowsky is the best at what it does, which is the active Jazz thing. The SRFF805 sounds like a Tobias or some other Bart loaded modern bass, so it is not like the Ibanez is beating the Sadowsky at its game, it's just that I would be happy a modern bass instead of an active Jazz.

19. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Nice. Any sound samples of it? My phone won't let me download mp3s or anything of that nature...

20. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Read that sticky thread on pics. It's not the camera, it's holding it steady - I just can't do that anymore, especially after my morning cup of coffee! Had some luck yesterday sitting on a reversed chair, and steadying my phone on top of the chair back to get pics. Without some sort of tripod or stick or something solid for stability, all of my cell phone pics come out like those. Strange, not true with my good digital camera (if I could only remember what drawer it's in).