1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SRMS 805 Ibanez....thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ghook, May 14, 2019.

1. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I thinking about one, perhaps even gassing. I'm aware of the multi scale hype but it does help the low B and I have avoided 5's because a friend bought an Epi Explorer 5 and the B flopped around like a dead fish best I could tell, very muddy. So love some TB input.:)

2. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    They're nice basses, I have the previous model and the SRMS looks and sounds noticeably better. Go for it!

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Not really hype it is a more natural finger position and more even string to string sound and feel . I have an SRMS-805 and I love it . Sounds and feels/plays great. I also had the SRFF-805 and the SRMS is much better.

Yahboy likes this.
  4. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Thanks. Yeah I was going to get an SRF700 but I have a Fretless to noodle on. The 5 would be a whole new experience for me. Thanks for both your replys :)

5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    It does not take a multi scale neck to have a good B string.

6. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    You should try an Ibanez BTB 5-string bass... 35” scale, neck-through - I find very comfortable to play and have the best sounding low-B string that I’ve played.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  7. I wish they'd put Nordstrands in them & have a natural finish SRMS800.

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I liked the one I tried out when I first saw it hanging up at Guitar Center, but it simply didn't fit in with our band image.
    There are other multiscale basses available in that price range, however, including one from Schecter and this one from Rondo...under $600.[​IMG]

9. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Love my SRMS806. It’s completely eliminated my golfer/tennis elbow issues.

wintremute likes this.
  10. gphil

gphil

Jul 9, 2016
    Sauk Centre, MN
    I have a SRMS-805 that I got about 2 months ago. This is my first 5-string so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I have no complaints about the B string. The more I play this bass, the more I am liking it.

11. Then please enlighten us?

12. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Well It does not take a multi scale Bass to have a good B-string. I have an Ibanez BTB-845SC 35' Scale that has a great B-string. Some say they can get a good sounding 34" scale B-string but I have never experienced that. But in fact the OP was asking about the SRMS basses not for recommendations for alternatives. And I have to agree with KBD that with Nordstrand Big singles these would be Much better, Although the current models and pickups are a couple steps above the original SRFF models sound wise. And Most BTB's have a much wider neck that some find uncomfortable.

MattZilla likes this.
  13. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    If we're looking for ff alternatives, I doubt many people have found a mediocre B on a G&L, an EBMM, or a Warwick. All of those can be picked up used for fair dough.

fishstix likes this.
  14. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    I've not much to add on this topic in general, except to say that my housemate owns one of these Brice multiscale 5ers in the walnut-looking finish and the tone is absolutely killer. He has it in drop G# with real nice string tension and feel.

jd56hawk likes this.
  15. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Great Bass!

16. FRoss6788

FRoss6788

Mar 25, 2012

17. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    No need to enlighten anyone. You need to reread my post. I understand that longer scale length on a low B would help it's tension. Is that a false assumption? Then I simply refered to a negitive aspect on what I heard , saw with a friend's Epi. No where did I make a sweeping statement on anything, in fact the OP was an inquiry. I'm am not a 5 string player due perhaps to the fact my era was comprised of 4 strings with passive electronics. I'm actually excited at the prospect of learning to use a low B :)

18. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Sorry hypocrite....I got out of sync. I thought your were quoting me. :)

19. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Thanks for your imput. I accidentally hit the wrong post . I'm willing to try a non multi-scale but I seem to see an ergonomic advantage with fanned fretting .

EatS1stBassist and tfer like this.
  20. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    IMHO there is an ergonomic advantage to the Multiscale it just feels more natural . I have short fingers and I find it much easier to play the Multiscale than traditional just more comfortable. Also It may just be me and I may be very picky but I have player fender 5's and G&L 5 and Stingray 5's and several other 34" scale 5's and none of them feel or sound like the 35"scale 5's. Don't get me wrong these are all fine instruments and I am not Bashing them in any way shape or form just IMHO. And I also realize that the different basses all have different electronics so that makes them sound different. But I always thought the 34" B string just did not ring out .

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    tfer likes this.