SRX bass, Hartke stack

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fraggs5, Mar 27, 2005.

1. fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    Im finally beginning to exceed the ability of my gear ( an ibanez atk 100 4 string, and a crate bx15.) I was first looking at goin after my amp first, but lately im starting to see the weakness in my bass (buzzyness, volume changes between strings, passive electronics and only one humbucker). She still makes a great backup, but its time to move on.

Anyway, im more or less sold on a Harke 410 TP cab and 2000-3500 head. I was gonna go ampeg, but when i played hartke, i fell in love. Now the axe ive been scoping out is an Ibanez srx 500 (in blue of course). I was wondering what peoples experiences are on these ( i checked the reviews, not much there).

I play Thrice (what does eddie play anyway?), Senses fail, Foo Fighters, Yellowcard, Halifax, Anberlin and even some RHCP (but easy(er) stuff like soul to squeeze). I seem to like it, but havent gotten a chance to really rock out in the store, it seems to piss people off.

And why does ibanez get such a bad rep anyway?
  2. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I'm more or less an Ampeg guy myself, but I settled for a Hartke 3500 head and a 410XL cabinet, because I didn't want to shell out the extra bling for Ampeg. I'm pretty happy with the Hartke stuff. The 10-band EQ is fun if you like to tinker like I do.

As far as Ibanez goes, I've played some of their instruments randomly at various times and they sounded pretty decent to me. Doesn't Gary Willis play with Ibanez basses? He plays and sounds better than about 99% of bassists around. That should tell you something.
  3. fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    Thanks. The more searching I do, the more I find of a "Cult following" of the ATK's. I know mine is a lesser version, the 100 but I still see alot of serious people with it, maybe I should look into a atk 300 or 304. How do I import one, or do you guys think a new srx is a better idea.=?
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ibanez bashers are Ignorant, plain and simple. Ibanez has consistently met and exceeded my expectations for contsruction and value. While some may dislike teh tone, Ibanez builds high quality basses for the $$, and they are hard to beat. The SRX series is a GREAT value. For under $500 new, you can't ask for much more than the 500 series gives you. Every one I have played has had great action, very nice fit and finish, quiet electronics, and a strong and full sound. Great Basses.
  5. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    The SRX500 with the translucent black finish is my main axe reinforced with a Hartke Bass Attack DI/preamp, Hartke 2000 head, and VX410 and VX115 cabs. I play small-medium sized bars, and it's more than enough for what I need for the hard rock I play. I've played 3 gigs with the whole setup in the past 2 weeks, and I don't regret the purchase!

The attached pic was taken this past weekend at a bar gig. You can see the stack along with me playing the SRX, plus a freebie in a green shirt. All weekend the volume stayed at a 3 to 3.5. When I had it at a 3.5, the guy playing next to me said he had to turn up his amp to hear himself, but he still liked what he was hearing coming out of the bass amp.

There are some differences between the 2000 and 3500 heads, with wattage being the most obvious. The 2000 is at a great price new, but it doesn't have a DI out, lighted knobs, etc. I still love my 2000, however, and the pedal acts as my direct to the board. Try both heads out. But if you are going through only one cab (I'm assuming it's 8ohm), then you may want to spend a few extra bucks and get the 3500 so you get more wattage running an 8ohm cab through the 4ohm head, although it's not a huge difference. Nevertheless, both heads put out some nice midrange punch through a 4x10 cab. Save up for the 15" cab if you want more extreme bottom, but you should do fine with just one 4x10 to start off with.

I also love my SRX500, and agree with the reviews you've heard. The neck also plays fast, and I only had to make intonation and truss rod adjustments when the other 3 guitarists wanted to play in E flat tuning, since it caused more string buzz. Thumbs up from a working musician!
  6. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I think the SRX500 is a great deal and an excellent bass for the money.

I like the tone and the playability of the SRX models. I plan on buying an SRX505 real soon.

I own an SRX300 which is a cheaper version of the 500 it works great has been reliable. If the tone works for you go for it.

You better go play one first though. If you are playing an ATK the neck on the SRX is going to feel very narrow. The string spacing is much tighter than an ATK. Some people don't like that so I would recomend that you play one before buying it.
  7. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    If this were in the amp forum, I would tell you to make the jump to the XL cabinet. The Transporter just doesn't have what it takes to handle the 3500 or 4000.
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I played an SRX505 through a 3500 head and 410+115 cabs for nearly three years with a fairly heavy (meaning, loud) jazz/funk band. The bass itself was so powerful that at times it blew away the rest of the band. I frequently had to leave the 115 at home ... it was just too much at times.

srxplayer is right, the 505 neck is very narrow. Actually, way too narrow for me. I was so blown away by the sheer thunder of the bass that I resigned myself to the neck features. Now that I have gone back to a wider, chunkier neck I feel much more at home (I've been using a 6 exclusively for the past several months now).

sadly, the SRX505 is on its way to a new home, I only hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I did while I played it. The 3500 and cabs, however, are still around and working well beyond my expectations.
  9. SR X's are great lower end ibanez bases, a hell of alot better that the SR's imo, more growl

but, if that atk is needing a new home :)

Try getting a new amp first, see what the ATK sounds like through that