SRX500 Truss Rod Adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nicoli, Feb 16, 2006.

1. This has been a pretty solid bass for me for a couple years now, but the time has come when a truss rod adjustment is necessary. So, I pulled off the little cap where the headstock meets the neck expecting to see a hex nut, and all I'm seeing appears to be a circular rod...

So, my question: Is the end of the rod with the hex nut at the body end of the bass, meaning I have to take the neck off to adjust it? I'd really prefer not having to pull the neck off...
  2. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I'm Canadian, just like Nicoli, so I think I understand. I'll paraphrase:

Nicoli expected to see a hexagon shaped nut with 6 outside edges, adjustable with a standard socket. Instead, he saw a circular rod, so he didn't know how to adjust it.

Nicoli: Don't remove the neck! Use an "Allan key" (an L-shaped hexagon wrench) to loosen or tighhten the truss rod. But wait... are you sure your truss rod needs adjusting? Be sure to follow the advise in the sticky's at the top of this forum. Perhaps something else needs adjusting besides your truss rod?
  3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have a SRX 300. I imagine they would use the same truss rod and nut. I adjusted the neck once when I got it and changed to Thomastic strings. I just went through my collection of hex keys until I found the one that fit. I don't know what size it was or if it was a metric size or not. I haven't had to adjust it since and I got it a couple years ago.

If you got the bass from a local dealer you should be able to get a hex key from them that is the right size.