Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SRX505 pickup grabs 5th string...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pharasoth, Dec 14, 2004.

1. pharasoth

pharasoth

Nov 27, 2004
    I recently purchased an Ibanez srx505 and I love her to death but the when slapping or popping or just playing with force in general the 5th string sticks to the pickup's magnet for a split second making a loud pop noise... Obviously I want this to be gone.. If I raise the string height at the bridge will this fix it? I'm not going to have to mess with anything else like intonation or the truss rod if I raise it will I? Am I gonna warp the neck if I raise it too much?

please help :(

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just lower the pickup on the high side :). You'll lose a lil output from this I suspose, but it's easier than raising the string height. IMO of course.

Ray

3. pharasoth

pharasoth

Nov 27, 2004
    if i do just raise the string height though at the bridge with i have to mess with anything else?

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    At the min. tuning, but possibly intonation as well.

Ray

5. Remove the pickup. Or if you MUST have the pickup, remove the 5th string :D

Seriously....lower the pup, try to leave the action alone. You really don't want to affect playability if you can help it.