1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SS Amp tech in NYC? - Ampeg preferred.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billoetjen, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Some folks may advise to just sell the thing and be done with it, but I have an Ampeg BA110 practice combo that I've used for almost eight years and I still love the thing. Don't want to replace it with something new. :rollno: But it's been a source of frustration for me over the last year because of an issue that I can't pin down.
    Some days I switch it on and it works perfectly like it was brand new. Other days it quickly develops this crackle then loses volume, then comes back to normal, then it's gone again a moment later. Doesn't matter which patch cord, or axe. I took it to a local place and plugged in and no problem. Sometimes I take it to practice at a band-member's house. It almost seems like the bumpy ride in the car can fix it. Very frustrating. One guy says it's the voltage in the house. My other amps don't notice it. Crap! :help:

So, I'm done with "techs" in Vermont. I travel sometimes to downtown NYC. I'd like to find someone who is willing to diagnose this and fix it once and for all.

It's a little bitty thing, and solid state.
    But I have gotten attached to it. :cool:

Thanks in advance.

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    It sounds like a problem with the jack to me.

John Lebrio on Staten Island is a great amp tech and a great guy. If you want his number, let me know.

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have a similar problem with an Ampeg SVT 200T, but I don't know if it's worth fixing....not unless I have a lot of spare cash.

Check out Pat at Main Drag in Brooklyn, NY

http://www.maindragmusic.com/md/

He really knows his stuff, and he really CARES about amps. He cares so much that if you do something silly, he'll yell at you. But he's a good guy.