1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SS fretboard replacement project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by D M C, Dec 24, 2016.

1. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I would like a short scale Jaguar bass with a maple fretboard. Since Fender/Squier doesn't offer a maple board on this particular bass, I'm researching the feasibility of replacing the rosewood board with a maple board.

I am not a luthier, but I have done some carpentry. How difficult is this project for a novice with help and advice from the good folks on thin forum?

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Go for it.

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Youtube is your friend on this one, lots of good tutorials, all involving heat and a good deal of patience. Getting the fretboard off and replaced is half the work, you still have to level and radius the new maple board, install frets, level , crown and polish, all of which require at least a few specialized tools and at least some practice. Unless you really want to learn the whole process and invest in some tools, replacing the whole neck is a heck of a lot more efficient.

D M C and Will_White like this.
  4. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I would love to replace the whole neck, but finding a replacement neck with a maple board is very difficult.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You don't need to salvage the rosewood, so the removal process should be pretty stress free.

Buy a pre radiused fretboard from StewMac or LMI

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I don't mean to discourage you, its do-able if you have the desire to pick up some luthiery skills. Is there another short scale neck that's a close fit? Modifying the neck pocket either by routing larger or shimming in would be a lot less work than a new fingerboard and fret job.
    Warmouth makes short scale maple board necks in 30" and 32", headstock would be different, might be worth a look. The LMI pre-slotted and radiused board would get you half way there anyway.
    Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Showcase

This ones a bit more Fender-ish
    Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Showcase
    Nice looking maple board with black dots on page 2

7. gsnad2000

gsnad2000 Commercial User

Aug 6, 2011
    Boston
    Owner of Wrong Way Customs
    I'm with Gil on this. I think it's a great project to learn on and have some fun and pick up skills if that is your goal.
    But if all you want is a maple neck for your instrument it would be a lot easier and stress free and possibly even cheaper to just find a source and buy a maple neck.

Gilmourisgod likes this.