1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SS Squier Jaguar hum: try J pickup, pots, or shielding 1st?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gtthomas, Sep 11, 2016.

1. gtthomas

gtthomas

Sep 11, 2016
    Hi, I'm new to posting here!

Actually, although playing for 20 years I'm totally new to modifying my gear. Please bear with me if my questions aren't worded right or answers are too obvious... :nailbiting:

I have already spent hours scouring the forum (and rest of the web) and educated myself a lot about some electronics thingies I never knew before, which is very exciting for me.

I have an urgent issue in need of repair on my short scale Squier Jag and while the issue seems to be well-known, I can't seem to figure out the best thing to try FIRST (I'd prefer to avoid trying "all the things" at once).

Issue is, of course: the hum, which –if both J and P are turned up to where I like them– becomes audible once the tone knob is up (it's not audible when tone is down, and it's not disappearing when I touch metal).

But I still feel confused about whether the hum is due to the single coil pickup entirely, or if putting in 500k pots (instead of its current 250k) would improve things? Or would shielding help me, and if so should I leave the pickup and pots as-is?

Which would you do first??

If pickup:
    I actually like the tone of the standard pickup, in terms of brightness (I currently use equal parts P and J, with the tone around 80-90%), but it could stand to be a bit louder (I know the bridge position hinders this). Would a dual coil stacked pickup would have a similar tone, resolve hum, and give me more volume? And if so, is this a good list to start researching? (I saw these in other threads, but haven't googled them yet.):
    - DiMarzio DP-148
    - Dual Coil Fralin
    - Seymour Duncan Classic Stack STK-J1
    - Seymour Duncan Hot Stack J STK-J2
    - Wilde-J45
    - Others I should consider??​

If pots:
    Do I replace all three (1 per pickup and 1 for the tone control)?
    Anyone know exact specs on what I'd need to be buying (are they smaller than normal on this SS bass)?
    Any info on this welcome!

This may be a dumb question, but are any of these mods things that take time to "settle in," in the way that changing strings does? (I have major shows coming up in a month so can't do anything that might get weird on me between now and then...)

Tips on which thing to try first for the hum situation would be very welcome. Thanks!