SS strings, easiest on the hands?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Hey, I'm looking for some SS strings that won't chew up my fingers. Because my index, middle, and ring finger on my right hand are blistered and peeling, and all that bad stuff. Any suggestions?
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    There's really not going to be any friendly SS string for you if your fingers are chewed up.

FWIW, I find GHS Super Steels to be the most gentle on the hands of any brand I've tried.
  3. Well, I am using DR lo riders so...:rolleyes:
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Only trying to help. I'm sorry if you are offended.
  5. Well, the Lo Riders are like playing barbed wire, but it sounds really good.

So I guess any would be better.
  6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Try the Rotosound RS55's. Stainless Steel
    roundwounds, but the wrap wire is slightly
    rolled as it goes onto the core. The result is
    a very smooth, slick feeling roundwound string
    that is easier on fingers and frets. They are
    great for fretless basses. Check them out

7. try High beams...or Fat Beams...I loved how lo riders sound but they're like cheese graters on the fingers.....not worth the loss of skin...

I personally love high beams more now..and am glad I don't bother with Lo beams
  8. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Round wound strings and, in particular, Stainless Steel round wounds, are comparitively tough on the fingers (as well as frets). That's just the nature of the beast. I've found that DR makes a very playable SS string. If finger wear is a real issue you might want to consider a half round. D'Addario's half rounds are stainless and sound nice and bright.

You could always toughen your fingers by soaking them in pickle brine like the old-time baseball pitchers. :)
  9. the whole eating up the frets is hype, in my opinion...I've been playing with DR High Beams and Fat Beams and haven't seen wear on 'em.

I personally believe Lo Riders are too damned rough to be any good for real playing..I could barely slide on that bass w\o chewing on my finger the way a cheese grater takes out cheese...also the only strings to cut into my flesh enough to make me bleed.

Try High Beams or Lo Riders or even Smith stainless steel strings...they're smooth and I haven't seen them eat into my frets...

no matter how much you'll toughen your fingers, those damned Lo Riders will eat your precious callouses
  10. Well, I got some high beams, and damn! They sound godlike.

Hopefully they won't eat my hands.
  11. glad to see you like'em as well...I've NEVER chewed my hands on those strings...and love how much they sound for the first month..then I tend to change 'em...I like how they sound fresh and alive...even when they're not as bright they sound really good..but that is my main preference :D
  12. Man, how long you been playing with SS strings?! When I first started on em my fingers got chewed up from em for like 2 weeks, now I can handle em easily, and I've been using them for half a year or so.
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I second that. I didn't even get 'chewed up hands' at all. I got my Roto Swing 66's and for a couple days it was just a bit irritating to do slides. Now, I play D'addrio Prisms but have no problem with my fingers.
  14. try black nylon tapes if you want super smooth, slippery cheeselike texture, no pain, no chewing, no worries.
  15. ...and no life! :D

(just kidding, - but I really love how the Hi-Beams sounds alive)
  16. I've been playing exclusively my G&L L1500 with factory SIT stainless strings at every gig. No problem with tearing up hands at all.

I usually play my P with TI Flats, so I don't have a lot of finger calluses. Little finger is getting there, but not torn up at all.
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, that's pretty much my experience, too. I use 'em exclusively on my Modulus Q6.