Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SS vs Tube Drives: smooth vs clacky??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Mar 24, 2005.

1. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I'm not sure if i'm right about these generalizations but from my experience, when i listen to Solid state drive units with grit dialed in i tend to hear those high freq clacks in the drive, for example, the Sansamp BDDI. so when its a low volume section the high end clacks stick out more than the drive that breaks up the mid and low frequencies....

on the other hand when i listen to tube based drive, whether it be power tubes or preamp tubes, i dont hear that high end clacky noise and the drive only seems to affect the mid and low range, like my IOD, tube king, v-twin. so at low volumes it sounds more like a clean sound than SS drives.....

i havent heard much ampeg drive but people always compare it to the sansamp so maybe ampeg amp tubes can be clacky too?

anyways, i was wondering if you guys hear the same thing, and knew why? i like both FWIW

2. Interesing comparison! I'm using a very overdriven Ampeg SVT-3 Pro (preamp tubes only) and it sounds sweet and smooth. Imho ss-distortion sounds bad when the hi-end is badly distorted. Low-end is often less audible when it contains much distortion, I mean overdriven lows sound smooth more easily then highs... Overdriven tubes tend to sound a little fuzzy when you push them hard i.e. it sounds smoother. But I guess it all depends in how you EQ your amp/sound.