1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SS vs Tube Drives: smooth vs clacky??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Mar 24, 2005.

1. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I'm not sure if i'm right about these generalizations but from my experience, when i listen to Solid state drive units with grit dialed in i tend to hear those high freq clacks in the drive, for example, the Sansamp BDDI. so when its a low volume section the high end clacks stick out more than the drive that breaks up the mid and low frequencies....

on the other hand when i listen to tube based drive, whether it be power tubes or preamp tubes, i dont hear that high end clacky noise and the drive only seems to affect the mid and low range, like my IOD, tube king, v-twin. so at low volumes it sounds more like a clean sound than SS drives.....

i havent heard much ampeg drive but people always compare it to the sansamp so maybe ampeg amp tubes can be clacky too?

anyways, i was wondering if you guys hear the same thing, and knew why? i like both FWIW

2. Interesing comparison! I'm using a very overdriven Ampeg SVT-3 Pro (preamp tubes only) and it sounds sweet and smooth. Imho ss-distortion sounds bad when the hi-end is badly distorted. Low-end is often less audible when it contains much distortion, I mean overdriven lows sound smooth more easily then highs... Overdriven tubes tend to sound a little fuzzy when you push them hard i.e. it sounds smoother. But I guess it all depends in how you EQ your amp/sound.