SSOne takes the Ansari X Prize!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Read all about it at !

SpaceShipOne was the strongest competitor in the race to space and now proved itself as the project took twice the very same manned spaceship over the edge of space in two weeks.

It was the first manned private spaceship to do so.

The owner of the british Virgin Enterprises already has promised to take up commercial space travel with his new company, Virgin Galactic. Cool, huh? :bassist:
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya, they are all Kern Countyites too... So like. They are my homeboys. and such. sorta. not really. omg. liek. lol.

They are taking off like... not even 3 hours from my crib. dawgz.
  3. He shouldn't have gotten it. That first flight was just this side of a disaster. He lost control for a big portion of the flight, didn't make his intented goal, and landed a damaged craft.

Not that I don't think people should strive for space. I want us all to be able to go to into the great unknown. But I just wish that the winner had done so without so many problems. It would lend some more validation to what he did.

Rock on
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    While I see what you are saying, he was able to get that far and that is amazing.
  5. given the government monopoly on space travel, i'm all for even limited success from a shallow knowledge pool. hopefully they'll learn from both the mission failures and successes to put together stronger future missions.

6. I just saw a show on SpaceShip One last night.

Pretty cool stuff.

The designer, Burt Rutan reminds me of Lockeed's Kelly Johnson, designer of the P-38 Lightning, and the SR-71.

I'd say the guy's earned his gruel for the year. ;)

7. Unfortunately, Rutan is a giant slang-word-for-a-phallus. I knew him a while ago when he was part of the Oregon Rocketry Enthusiasts Organization (OREO) and he had a massive ego. His rockets were always better, and his designs would never fail. If one crashed, it was never his fault.

I have seen the designs for SS1, though, and it does seem like a good design. I just wish he had tested it a bit more before launching.

Rock on
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, thinking back now there isnt as much incentive for independant organizations to push the limits, and we still arent where this contest tried to get us.