Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by keithconn, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Currently I am playing through an old guitar amp - supposed to be pretty good amp. And if I keep it at a low practice volume it seems ok...

One major problem! It make noise like a TV that lost cable ... you know, like 'ssshshshshs' ..

I think its a tube amp. Does anyone know how I can make this anoying noise go away? I already replaced the fuses, and it helped a tiny bit, but I need something else ...

Hopefully I will get something new soon, but for now I need some advise.

2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Don't worry about the hiss. It'll blow up soon and then you can buy a bass amp that sounds better. Seriously, you're jamming on borrowed time, bro. Guitar amps are not suitable for bass.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    probably a tube on its way out.

4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    That would be my guess. And don't listen to anyone who says that a guitar amp is not suitable for bass, because it certainly IS! If you are into the sound that you are getting from it, there is no reason why you shouldn't be using a guitar amp. Its not bad for the amp to have a bass plugged into it, and its not bad for your cabinet to have a guitar amp plugged into it. All your equipment will be OK.

Also, a lot of pro bassists use guitar amps. At the moment, I can think of Mike Dirnt from Green Day and Me'Shell NdegeOcello.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Guitar amps may be OK for bass, but guitar speakers are not. Low notes at moderate volume will blast them to smothereens.

In answer to your question, I'll go along with the others ... a tube that has went.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I assumed he was talking about a combo amp, BTW. Munji is right, it's the speakers that will go soon unless he's using a bass cab. Sorry for any confusion. Calm down, lo-end. Consider yer chain unpulled.
  7. Nope - this is just a pratice guitar combo that I use at very low volumes.

Thanks for the advice