Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SSssslllleeeeeppppppppppp

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I for the life of me can't understand my sleep schedule. Alright. I fell asleep at about 1:00 AM and woke up at about 8:00 AM. Seven hours of sleep. I'm dead tired. But, yesterday I fell asleep 3:00 AM and woke up 11:00 AM. (I'm rounding these numbers, but it evens out pretty much the same). When I woke up at 11:00 I felt totally refreshed. At 8:00, like I said, dead tired. Same amount of sleep, but... I dunno.

Also. Wheter I get 5 hours of sleep, 8 hours of sleep, or 12 hours of sleep, regardless, I'm usually tired about 3 hours after waking up and then for the rest of the day, I'm really tired.

Sorry if this thread doesn't make much sense, I'm really tired.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Lemme guess, you tend to stay up late?

Do more sports or any other activity that makes your body tired, and try to get to bed at the same time every day, same with getting up. Avoid eating too late in the day, and if you do only light stuff that is digested easily (veggies are quite hard to digest!).
    Another thing: Pay attention that you drink enough. Dehydration makes you tired too. Best drink is mineral water mixed with apple juice. Beats every energy drink.

Physical activity increases your sleep pressure, and you get to sleep deeper and more refreshing.

BTW: Sleeping too much will tire you out too!

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    dude, i do the exact same thing!

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Stop eating sugar and products with sugar in them and you'll rarely experience the after-awakening tiredness again.

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup. Forgot to mention that, refined white sugar - BAD.

Here's a controversial but interesting article on sugar and its effects.

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/SugarBlues.html

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I read a book call Sugar Blues by William Duffy a few years ago, and it got me to stop eating anything with sugar in it, other than natural fruit and milk sugars, for about a year. Unfortunately, I started back up, and now I'm a super-addict again. But if you take it out of your diet, your basically eating as healthy as you can, as most foods with no added sugars tend to be health foods.

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Your tiredness upon waking depends on where in your sleep cycle you are when you are awaken. I can wake up after 8 hours of sleep and be groggy for hours, but wake up after 4 and a half and be fine all day. It depends where your sleep cycle is.

8. i have the exact opposite problem. Its hard for me to fall asleep. Honestly, unless I just smoked *something* or am pretty drunk, it takes about an hour of laying in bed to knock me out. However, even after 3 or 4 hours of sleep, im wide awake after 5 minutes of getting out of bed. Maybe my metabolism is too high, or i dont exercize enough, but it sucks.

I've had nights where I haven't slept at all, becauce I just couldnt sleep.

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You need more physical activities.

10. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Best thing to do, as people have mentioned, is watch your diet, and make sure you drink plenty of water. You should also try and avoid stimulates like caffeine after a certain hour.

What i find fixes my morning groggyness though, is going for a surf, or lifting some weights or some other kind of exercise. Exercise will get your mind and body cranking for the rest of the day.

Make sure you eat a good brekkie too. I chop up a sh1tload of fruit every morning and eat it like it's a religion. Fruit salad and a small handfull of almonds and im ready for business.

What you could also try to do to get your sleep pattern back in order, is wake up really early, like 5ish. Then tough it out for the rest of the day without any kind of nap, then have an earlyish night. That should start to get your sleeping pattern back on track

P.s. If you're a "smoker", that could also explain why you're dregged in the morning. That sh1t'll fry ya

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I get a good amount of activity now (lifting weights). But sometimes you just have one of those days where you sleep from 4:00am to 12:30pm :spit: ;)