Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SSTRINGS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Guest User, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Guest User

Guest User

Apr 3, 2005
    HI. i have a fender p-bass and haven't changed the company strings since i bought it.(from factory)

What would be the ideal set of strings for different styles for slapping/popping, fingering and (maybe) picking.

i maybe changing my strings by the 27th of july.

any help! AWESOME. Thanks :bassist:

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Buy a few sets of strings and try them out. See what you like. The basic choices are Round or Flat Wound Stings. Within round wounds, you have Stainless Steel, very bright and sort of coarse to the touch, Nickel Steel, a little smoother sounding and also smoother to the touch. You gotta see what works best with your playing style, pickups etc.
    I haven't played flat wounds in 30 years so I cant really comment other than to say its lacks the piano like tone of round wound string.
    I suggest you go to www.webstrings.com and buy a set of each type and see for yourself. They are name brand strings without the name on them and they are sold at a very reasonable price.
    Form you own opinion brother! Thats a big part of getting you sound together.