Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

!st Amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chekerbored, Nov 28, 2004.

1. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    I'm looking for a good 1st amp. I play with a band at my church, and we are looking to start gigging at other churches or wherever, so it needs to be able to hold against 2 guitars and a drum kit in large room (sanctuary prolly). I play praise music, blues, jazz, lots of rock and alternative, looking to expand into slap and funk areas. This is based alot on budget, I'm guessing at least $300 maxing out around $400 prolly. I've been looking alot on musicians friend, and places like that. I've been looking at Crate BT100, Fender Rumble 100, SWR LA15, and a Behringer BX1200 Ultrabass. Looking for inputs about these, or suggestions about others, pros, cons, anything you guys wanna throw at me. All those up there at 100-120 watts, if you guys know of anything worthwhile with bigger wattage and a good quality throw that out here too. Thanks a bunch.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Your budget is a bit shy of what you need. You need 300 watts minumum. Hold a bake sale.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Man, that budget really hurts. Best bang for the buck I can think of is find to find something used that someone really needs to sell.

Here is a blem model Ashdown MAGC410T combo that is just barely outside your price range at $420 +$20 for s/h. Thats the best I can think of at the moment but you would have to jump on that as it shows they only have one!

4. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    About bigger amps, my friend has an Ampeg BA-210SP with the effects, and i can play with that occasionally if i need too. I won't be able to hop on that Ashdown b/c i was gonna buy an amp with X-mas money and b-day money and save money from the job for a new guitar. The only reason i think 300 watts might be too big is i would be blowing away the other kids. We're all broke high schoolers, and we're all looking into buying new amps. I'll talk to them tomorrow and see what size amps they're getting and get back you ya. I may use some of the money i was gonna put towards a new bass to the new amp. i suppose it would be easier to upgrade a guitar than an amp. a bigger amp would prolly hold me through college too. good thinking. I could prolly get away with $500 or so dollars for amp, delaying on the new bass. at any rate thanks, and if anyone has any more suggestions, feel free.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's my take on minimum amplification for bass

click here

remember, bass takes about 4-10 times that wattage as guitar to effectively keep up. Not that you're going to want to run a 400 watt amp flat out thru 6 tens in the sanctuary :p

6. Out of the ones you mentioned I would go with the SWR LA15.

Stay away from Behringer. No one but Behringer will be able to work on it. They will not sell Schematics to anyone and they only have a New York service center.

I have SWR 350x and love it. Quality made. When I was looking for a bass I played the Rumble amp and was not impressed. Crate, I know nothing about.

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

Oh sure he will :D

Gotta agree with kelly lee, keep your eyes on the used market.

I think you could get by pretty well with combo around 100-150 watts. I used a crate 100 watt amp for a quite a long time for rock gigs, jazz ensambles and way back when I was playing in churches. I can't remember a time when I needed more power than it had and the place didn't have it's on house system(part of that may be me being lucky, but still).

I think what I'm really getting at is that I personally believe you shouldn't worry to much about your gear right now and just worry about playing more and learning what you like to hear from the bass. If you luck into a more powerful amp for a good price or decide to save a lil more and get a bigger one, don't worry about blowing everyone away, just keep in mind that you have the power to keep the volumes low(reminds me of when I was in Jr high jazz band playing with my sunn stack with a 400watt head and 2 1x15's, heh. So I kinda stuck out, but the mix sounded good. Just had to keep the volume on like 1 or 1.5)

My best advice would be look used. When you find something, search for the model here with the handy dandy search feature. Then ask any questions you have remaining and then buy the sucker or move on.

ok I think I'm done :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope. Two guitars and a kit? 300 watts will probably get you by, but not with any appreciable headroom. I'm cutting you some slack here. As of January 1, 2004, my recommendation for minimum gigging power went to 600 watts. I also recommend going used. An SWR Super Redhead, Eden Metro, Fender Bassman 400, or Peavey Bam would work pretty well. Stay away from Behringer and Crate or you'll be throwing good money after bad in short order.

9. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    Well i think im gonna keep my eyes open for bigger stuff. We had a little practice today in my friends basement, and i ran my OLPiece of crap through a dinky SWR LA 8 or somethin like it. It sounded good enough to last replacing it for a while. Like i said before a bigger amp would be better since i wouldnt hafta replace it through college, another big negative in the wallet. If i can learn this much in 24 hours who knows what else is on the way. Thanks for the input and more is welcome.