Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

St. Anger

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by florentinepogen, May 16, 2003.

1. I was curious as to what you think about the clips form Metallica's new album. I've been a faithfull fan for years but the clips are putting a bad feeling into the pit of my stomach. It's nearly impossible to judge an album on 45 seconds of music but so far I'm severly underwhelmed.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am very excited about St. Anger, I think they are getting real with them selves and putting alot of effort into making a good record.I think the lyrical content will be much better compared to most of reload as to that was just mostly fillers. From what i have heard it seems more like modern metal you can still here some load like vocal use thogh.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I predict Metallica to go with whatever bandwagon they have to jump on to make the cash. Metallica - Alcoholica - Alternica - NuMetallica.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't know about the band wagon thing. As a band, if you don't grow, you die. The only way other types of music won't influence your new mucis is if you live in a bubble your whole life of you totally deceide that "OH, we cant play this song casue it sounds too much like XXXX".

I listen to alot of my bands early stuff & I (we/band) think it blows!!!!!! But their are still fans/friends that come to our shows & wanna hear it.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That audio sample on their site is horrible.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

YUPPERS!!! Not even a good quality mp3. Terrible song and even worse sound.

For a bunch of "Icons" they are looking a little green.

7. i heard the song St. Anger and it freakin' stinks. it sounds like a lame nu-metal/wannabe harcore band. ugh.

8. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Exactly. I get really annoyed with people citing "Mama Said" to back up the fact that Metallica sold out. Hell, if they were following a bandwagon then Load and ReLoad would have gone Diamond. I like those two better than Kill 'Em All. There were a couple bad songs between them("Slither") but still some solid tracks. Outlaw Torn, Carpe Diem, Fixxxer, Low Man's Lyric, Hero of the Day, and hell, personally I really like Mama Said.

IIRC, don't most people cite Hetfield playing a steel guitar on Mama Said as selling out?

St. Anger sounded pretty good when I heard it on Icon, but that recording was really, really bad. The "Frantic" preview didn't do much of anything for me.

9. Bob Rock playing bass on the album doesn't seem promising- he was pretty sloppy when he guested with the band on that flat-bed truck outside a baseball/football/whatever live thing they did.

-although with protools in the studio you could do pretty much anything....

10. I want to know what Metallica has to still be angry about? They're all multi-millionaires, everyone and their mom knows who they are. They're hideous but have women groveling at their feet. They've managed to obtain loads of critical, public and mainstream acceptance and praise despite certain members *cough*questionable musical abilities*ahem* and to boot they got rid of Napster. The only thing that have left is a few dissidents who say they suck now. Though vocal, these dissenting opinions are relatively few, how can they be angry when they have the life others would kill for?

Oh well...I guess it's just a name.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  12. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    Watch this video then try and tell me that your not excited about St. Anger. Keep in mind that songs in this video are not the final versions.
    30 Minute St. Anger video

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I watched it, sandman_96. Am I excited about St. Anger's release? Nope. Am I interested in hearing the final songs in their entirety? A little bit, but I'm not gonna be standing in line on Monday night at midnight, so I can be one of the first to buy it. Those days are over for me, courtesy of Load and Reload, Damage, Inc. and S&M.

14. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    You mean Garage, Inc.? That was one of my favorites. It also turned me on to Nick Cave, who I had never heard of before I got interested in "Loverman".

Nothing can beat Master of Puppets though.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  16. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    They haven't released anything good since Cliff Burton died and St. Anger is not going to be an exception. There is so much good metal out there that superior in all possible ways so the point in listening to metallica is null. Just the fact the Lars talks about Linking Park as musical innovators says it all, they have a ****ty taste in music and it shows in their own music.

17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Oops. Yes, I meant Garage, Inc.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Metallica is at a changing point and i think experimenting is something they have really got into. I love kill em all all the way up to S&M which i belive to be a true work of art. With the sudden changes in tempo and soft to hard sound some of this reminds me of Justice for all. I agree something seems to not sound right with the clips from the site.

19. thanks for the vid sandman

I must say I'm a little more excited now that I know that the music isn't all snare and mud guitars but I'm not really diggin how dry James' vocals are. James has always been one of the best metal vocalists, not super-shrill, and able to scream or carry a melody. I hope the vocals sound better on the CD than they do in the video or clips.

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know man. This might not be a very popular opinion, but I've always looked at music from a "Either I like it, or I don't like it" stand point. If I like it, I listen to it, if I don't, well I don't listen to it. I don't sit around and complain that a band I like changed their sound and feel all betrayed about it. I'm not trying to be rude, but my personal opinion is all of these people running around complaining about how Metallica sold-out, need to just get over it. Yes, they don't play thrash metal anymore, yes, they are multi-million dollar corporate whores. So what? Buy a Testament album, buy a Kreator album, buy an Iced Earth album. Why do people waste their time trying to justify why a band or genre of music is invalid, just because they don't care for it.

MUSICIANS DON'T OWE ANYBODY, ANYTHING, ON AN ARTISTIC LEVEL. It's pretty ignorant to think that a band owes you some sort of artistic compensation on their new album, just because you bought their old one.

Sorry, just needed to vent, because I feel strongly about this type of thing. (I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but Metallica is usually the band that gets cited in these instances)