Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

St. Patrick's Day Gig Roll Call....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Post your gig plans, stories, and other St Patrick's Day memories here. I'll start...

1977: Took delivery of my Martin D-18, my first good acoustic guitar.

1983: Took delivery on my Fender Jazz stack-pot reissue.

1984: My girlfriend at the time (also a bass player) got a gig at an Irish bar, and I had none that night. Luck of the draw. She played the very well paying gig - I showed up later with friends and put down Jameson's until I suddenly realized I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast and the kitchen was closed. Not pretty, not pretty...

1988 or so: I go to see a friend's Bluegrass band and everyone comes over acting real excited to see me.

"Hey -- wanna sit in? We'd love to have you!"
    "Sure..guess so.."
    "GREAT! You can sing 'Danny Boy!' Here's the words..."

2005: Played a country club where the audience kept on singing after we quit. Turned out they knew more Irish songs than we did...

2006: I'll be at the J-V Restaurant in Falls Church VA with Honky Tonk Confidential, and we've added a few IRA tunes to the repertoire which I hope won't earn us a visit from Homeland Security..

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I'm playing Friday night 6-7:30 and then 8:30-10:00 at Coburns Tavern in Baltimore then Saturday it's the same gig but we have the 12:00-4:00 slot.
    It's an outdoor in a tent thing. One of those big ass tents that a bunch of people can fit in. I think it is going to be cold.:meh:

3. I hate paddys day, mainly because last year it was one of my first nights working in the pub, and i was working alone on it . . . not fun!

Working it this year alone aswell, but im working the afternoon so it shouldnt be too bad

Not playing at all tho

4. my band had to turn down a gig playing the last spot at Savannah's (ga) St. Patrick's Day celebration Friday night. We were to go on at 10pm, playing the main stage - they usuallly have 100K+ people along River Street.

We contacted them about 6-8 weeks ago and they said they'd get back to us. We didn't hear anything and booked another gig opening up a new bar nearby (in the Atlanta area).

The people from Savannah called us today trying to confirm the number of hotel rooms we needed. DOH!!!

Oh well. That would've been fun. :crying:

5. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    actually My band has the night off for a change but we are going to a pool hall up the street to see a former bandmate's act open for an AC/DC tribute band . We usually go to American Idol them to death . They expect it but it is still fun to watch it when they make a mistake and the look to see if we caught it . They do the same to us. Kinda like a very dysfunctional family.:help:

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is the first time in 4 years I'm not playing at St Patricks Tavern Sydney for St Patricks day. They were such wild gigs, and the stage invasions were so frequent, that last year I decided to leave my precsious Stingray at home and take my cheap Ibanez. The band though it was a good call - the Ibanez is green :)

I got out of it this year but the following night, I took a gig for what was sold to me as a "Corporate Function". I found out yesterday it's for an Irish Social club and it's a belated St Paddy's day event. Out comes the green bass again........

7. Got a nice little club gig at Kenosha Station in Broken Arrow OK. Cozy little firetrap, but we draw well there. Should be pretty nuts with all the green beer, pubcrawlers and whatnot.

I actually got hit in the face on stage there by a bra the last time we played there. It graced my mic stand the rest of the night and then the broad had the nerve to ask for it back!

:spit:

8. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I might win the prize. My band is playing its first gig together since they had some changes with me on bass and its my first real gig ever...i fooled around in high school 25 yrs ago. I have been with them 8 month and we have to stretch the material to make the night...but we should. We fired our 2nd guitarist today and the gig is friday we are replacing him with a great player who used to be in this band but has not played with us in months i played with him once months ago ...hes real good and easy to play with...our lead guitarist and drummer know him and said he will be ready at the gig....Im getting the gitters but feel ready and am excited. The club is brand new and needed a band at the last second to play so they offered and we took it on a whim although we are a month out from being really ready ...but when are you ever really ready? No band has ever played here or played thru the PA so it should be something...our guitarist is a sound guy thou. Im ready to give it 100% or quit music come Saturday morning:D Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Couple years ago, I opened up for Vanilla Ice of all people. :meh: There was like 6 or so local bands and we played rather early. Had a show across town later that night. Our lead guitarist for that act stayed at the first venue and got completely trashed (durn green beer). He showed up at the second show and made a complete buffoon of himself. We wound up playing as a three peice with him sitting out after a couple of HORRIBLE attempts at working the regular four peice bit. He sat out in the crowd and kept drinking. By the end of the night he was so drunk that he threw his shirt into a tree in a planter in the parking lot then passed out. He had absolutely no recollection of doing this and was actively looking for that shirt for the next 6 or so months. He finally noticed it in the same durn tree (I am astonished that it didn't fall out with Oklahoma winds). He had to do a LOT of apologizing to avoid getting fired for that crap.

10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i'll be playing with a rock band called koshari at the velvet lounge(u street, washington d.c.) and drinking irish car bombs all night.
    i hate st. patricks day personally.... just another b.s. yuppie/ fratboy/ hallmark holiday to me. and i've got some irish blood in me.
    oh well, everyone have fun and be safe.

11. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I'll be playing Sat night at The Stables in Westminster MD. It's a nice place with a decent stage and great food. Don't know how "Irish" it will be... the owner is Greek!

I will definitely be wearing some green!

12. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Playing Friday night at the Green Elephant in Dallas Texas.

13. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    We've got a sweet 4:30 to 8:30 gig down at Monkey's Uncle in JAX Beach! The load-in is a pain and it's a tiny corner stage, but the crowd rocks! We have another band coming in after us to start at 9:30 which may make teardown interesting...:meh:

14. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    My bros and I are playing at Game Time Sports Pub in Oregon Ohio. The place should be absolutely packed. Plenty of green beer, Guiness, and Irish Car Bombs. Too bad I have to work at 9:30 the next morning! Have fun everyone.

15. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    My blues rock band, 2nd Exit, is playing the Channel Inn in Warsaw, MN on St. Pat's day. This is the Minnesota equivalent of a roadhouse: one decent bar in a very small town. We haven't played there since it was closed, sold to new owners and renovated over the past 2 years. Should be a great crowd of dancer/drinkers! The next night (Saturday) we are playing the Depot in Faribault, MN. The bar and the crowd are a little more upscale, but the last time we played there a giant party broke out and a good time was had by all.

Check the URL down in my signature if you want to see pictures of us at the Depot a few weeks ago. Listen to our clips, too!

16. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Doing nothing on St Patty's itself; we have a gig tonight at the Hungry Tiger in Manchester, CT. I have to work tomorrow, so I'll be crashing early tomorrow night.

17. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Andy , you guys playing the Tiger? cool I unfortunately am not playing but I have togo see Dirty Deeds and Copperhead at Rick's Billiards in Putnam. Best o' luck I like playing the Tiger. :hyper:

18. To all you bassists working tonight I leave the following. Our bandleader is having buttons made up for all of us with this image on it. We will need them. :help:

[​IMG]

19. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    My band will be playing tonight in a small, I mean VERY small bar called Flanagan's Corner. We do it every year and it's always a blast! BTW... we'll be cramming 7 players into an area about 15' x15'. Nice-n-comfy! ;) I love standing next to the plaque on the wall that reads something like "An Irishman is never drunk so long as he can hold onto a single blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth" :p
    Anyways...one of my favorite partys to play! :bassist:

And since it's St. Paddys day I'll leave w/ a joke forwarded around work today:

Two men were sitting next to each other at a bar. After a while, one guy looks at the other and says, "I can't help but think, from listening to you, that you're from Ireland "

The other guy responds proudly, "Yes, that I am!"

The first guy says, "So am I!

And where about from Ireland might you be?"

The other guy answers, "I'm from Dublin , I am."

The first guy responds, "Sure and begora, and so am I! And what street did you live on in Dublin?"

The other guy says, "A lovely little area it was, I lived on McCleary Street in the old central part of town"

The first guy says, "Faith & it's a small world, so did I! So did I! And may I ask, to what school would you have been going?"

The other guy answers, "Well now, I went to St. Mary's of course."

The first guy gets really excited and says, "And so did I. I thought you looked familiar.

Tell me, what year did you graduate?"

The other guy answers, "Well, now, let's see, I graduated in 1964."

The first guy exclaims, "The Good Lord must be smiling down upon us! I can hardly believe our good luck at winding up in the same bar tonight. Can you believe it, I graduated from St. Mary's in 1964 me ownself."

About this time, Vicky walks into the bar, sits down, and orders a beer.

Brian, the bartender, walks over to Vicky, shaking his head & mutters, "It's going to be a l o n g night tonight!!!!"

Vicky asks, "Why do you say that, Brian?"

"The Murphy twins are drunk again."

Happy St. Patty's Day!! :)

20. steve21

steve21 Banned

My St. Patty's night was spent watching a bunch of local metal bands, Medagh, Dark Reign, and Hexen. They kicked butt.