Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

St. Patrick's Day Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jazzbo, Mar 18, 2001.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If there's one day of the year that I like playing in a cover band, it's St. Patrick's Day. I had a gig last night. Excellent time, probably our best gig to date. I play in a local cover band that plays 80s and 90s pop, funk, disco, and blues. The bar was packed, it spilled out onto the street. From the very first note of the very first song, literally, the crowd was moving and dancing. At one point a conga line formed that went down the street and back into the bar. It's amazing how you feed off the energy of the crowd. This was definitely an amazing time, I just wish that every gig could be as much fun.

Anybody else have some fun St. Paddie's Day gigs that they'd like to share. :D

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I did four gigs over the weekend,2 on Friday and 2 on Saturday. On the early Sat. gig we used the night band's stuff and their bassist had a Bass Pod Pro into a Crown power amp into an SWR Goliath Senior (6x10"). Kind of overkill for an Irish band,but my B string notes were thundering!That was fun,especially since the guitarist had to play through a wimpy little combo <G>! On Sat. night we played outdoors on Main Street in downtown Houston,it got kind of chilly but there was a good crowd and we kept playing to keep warm <G>.The crowds at all gigs were awesome in their responsiveness,we had a great time.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I hear ya on the cover band thing jazzbo. I play in a pickup band that kind of has a rotating lineup. Myself and the lead singer are the steadies and we usually play with a different guitar player or drummer each gig. Last night's lineup was the first time the four of us had played together, (No rehearsals... this band gets together once a month on gig nights only). Last night, things clicked really well. The crowd rocked all night long, and the Van Morrison songs seemed to go over big. Just a great night all around... Maybe it was the green beer?!?

-robert

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sounds like a busy weekend virtual.ray. I'll be in Houston next month on business, maybe I can check out a gig.

Yeah rllefebv, crowds just love to hear the cheesy stuff. They go crazy for JESSIE'S GIRL and JENNY/867-5309, and all that other stuff. It's a great energy in the crowd.

5. funny, i went to a show on st. paddy's and the band was the tightest i've ever seen them, and the audience was great.