1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

St Patrick's Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Mar 15, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something

This Sunday is St Patricks day here in the states. There will be parades, lots of drinking and corned beef and cabbage.
    It was originally a day of solidarity among Irish Americans in a time when a lot of them were stuggling with prejudice . Now there may be a little of that spirit of solidarity left but mostly I just see it as another exuse to party. Not really a bad thing.
    My problem is that although I am of Irish decent, I don't drink, I think parades are boring and I would rather have enchiladas than corned beef and cabbage. Besides I think corned beef and cabbage was actually invented here in the states not in Ireland. So what do I do?
    I guess I'll just put on the Chieftans and the Pogues and leave it at that. I don't think my great grandparents would be happy.

2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Do what I do, stay at home and do nothing :D

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I'm with you on this since I am part Irish and don't drink, etc. However, my band always plays for some type of St. Patrick's Day dance locally.

Well, instead of the standard Celtic music, you can listen to Thin Lizzy, Van Morrison & Them, The Coors, U2, and various other Irish based bands. Or, watch the movie "The Commitments". It's U.S. music about an Irish band. Cool band movie by the way.

4. slobake

Great suggestions. I have everyone except the Coors. I also really like the movie "Waking Ned Devine."

5. slobake

Enjoying Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic" right now.

6. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It's on Sunday. Today is Friday. :D

7. BenBL

BenBL

Jun 25, 2012
    If you live in a place with large Italian herritage (I'm neither Irish or Italian) you may be able to get some absolutely delicious Zeppolis on St. Joseph's day

To quote the great James Joyce, "the"

8. slobake

anytime is a good time for "Into The Mystic."

9. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Some live Corrs for you.

10. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I will be doing what i do every st patricks day, which is avoid getting on public transport after lunchtime. Because i don't want to be vomited on :)

It's a sunday, too... I predict a lot of sickdays being taken on the monday.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    "Shize? I should shee! Macool, Macool, orra whyi did ye diie? of a trying thirstay mournfn? Sobs they sighed at Fillagain's chrissormiss wake, all the hoolivans of the nation, prostrated in their consternation and their duodisimally profusive plethora of ululation,"