Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

St. Thomas

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Sounds good. That was always a fun song to play in combos in college. Our drummer always used to go barehanded for that song so it'd sort of sound like bongos. There's something about that song anytime we'd play it people would be up dancing around having a blast. It's just a fun song.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ugh, this song gets stuck in my head everytime I hear it. Man, I remember playing this like... 6 years ago in some school band. Bah. Cool jam though. The solo was kind of weak though,it felt like you were grabbing for things you weren't really sure how to grab for.

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Geoffkhan,
    Are you playing the bass, and the melody on top?
    Just wondering what the setup was...
    I like it, made me smile, I like the very first little run of pinch harmonics very much...

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Heh!

I've got a big grin on... that is such a great tune.

I enjoyed everything about the recording except the harmonics... forget them and do it again.

:D

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Beat me to it... really interesting version, but those harmonics didn't really work, in my opinion. They didn't really sound out that well, I think too many electric jazz bassists overdo the harmonics thing. St. Thomas is one of my favorite jazz tunes, it's just so... good.

6. So like in the very end where I drop the harmonics and just play down an octave? Because my bass only goes up to Eb. :(

I overdubbed the bass, so yes, I'm playing both parts. I agree the solo was pretty weak, partly because I was concentrating on playing cleanly (kinda hard when the treble is way up) rather than on playing interesting phrases. I actually am sightreading this song since I don't know it on bass. I haven't sightread on bass for quite some time, but it's been a good work out. Come to mention that, I haven't played jazz on my bass for quite some time, either.