Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stab in the dark (Wal electronics)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, May 12, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I'm guessing not, but will Pete/whoever at Wal just sell you their electronics? I'm in love with that sound, but not so much the looks (I've never played one, so no comment on playability) or the price. Plus, I'm having a custom made, so it just wouldn't make sense.

I know that there are other factors to the Wal sound. I'm not stupid (well...). Just wondering if there's any way I could obtain the filters and so forth, or if anybody can suggest a reasonable substitute. Maybe an Alembic filter? Need me some high-mids!!

2. Nope, Pete does not sell the pickups or electronics separately.

From the "functional" point of view, the Alembic lowpass filters are somewhat similar to the Wal EQ, but the end result never sounded quite the same to me--could just be the different pickups and the neckthrough-vs.-bolt on thing, though. The pickups are also quite different from the Alembic pickups, and the single polepieces under the strings seem to make a difference.

The mahogany body and bolt-on neck are also elements to the Wal sound, too. With the EQ set flat, I certainly noticed some resemblence between the mahogany core Smith CR that I tried and my Wals.

Mike

3. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Oh well. It was worth a shot. Thanks, Mike! Maybe one of these days I'll break down and get a nice Mach III... Many years from now. Those are pretty nice-looking. Pete really would do nicely if he would sell the electronics separately (I would think, anyway.)

4. The MkIII's are the most comfy, too. Anyway, best of luck with the custom!

Mike

5. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Interesting. See, if Pete just sold the electronics and pickups separately, this kind of butchery (if you can call it that) wouldn't be going on!

Mike, when you say the MKIII is the most comfy, do you mean the body is more comfy, or the neck, or what? Thanks for the help - you've been a help on more than one occasion!

6. By "comfy", I mean the MkIII is smaller and lighter overall and seems to hang and balance better. The body shape is narrower and sleaker, as well as having more of an offset waist. The headstock is also smaller for both the 4 and 5, and uses the lighter Gotoh-style tuners rather than the big Schallers, and so forth. The basic neck contour is pretty much the same, though, so the neck doesn't really feel any different.

Mike

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    One other difference about the MKIII that Mike left out is that the place where the neck attaches is cut differently allowing easier access to the upper frets (but this option can be ordered on a MKII, but it's not standard on the MKII).

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oohhh man that Fodera/Wal is really sweet. I'm so jealous! If I could get my hands on some Wal electronics. . . Hanewinckel . . .Wal. . . *drrrooooool*

9. Mike, I had seen the pic of that cut-up poor Wal it's on sale for $1200... ah well - at least Ben has his dream bass - and what a gorgeous beast it is - I can't wait for him to post some sound clips on the 'pit!

To be honest, I prefer the body shape of a Wal (particularly Mk1 - I think they're just so darn classy looking!) but the sound of a neck-through Wal would be just amazing...

--jeff

10. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    I was just thinking that "Stab in the dark" isn't the phrase I was going for. "Stab in the dark" means a wild guess, whereas I was really going for more of an "It's worth a shot" kind of phrase. :meh:

The look of the MkI has really grown on me. The MkII still looks a bit like the awkward puberty between I and III, but a lot nicer than, say, a Fodera. :D