1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stability of bloodwood vs. ebony for fretless fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cheapimitation, Oct 9, 2010.

1. cheapimitation

cheapimitation Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Anyone know if there is any significant difference between the two? Either would be mated to a maple neck.

2. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    IME my experience a good piece of straight grained bloodwood is actually more dimensionally stable than most Ebony. Either would make a very good board for a fretless IMO.

3. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I love using bloodwood for fretless boards, and have never had any trouble with one in the 9 years I've been using bloodwood.

kkaarrll likes this.
  4. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Bloodwood has been very very good to me but I haven't been using it as long as Shawn..t

kkaarrll likes this.
  5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Bloodwood?

Build421.jpg

;)

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Thinking Mikey needs a spokeshave or a safety for that drawknife...hehehe. As always the more humorous take from Cinci...kind of like Skyline.

7. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    Now all you need is some sweat and tears to really put yourself into that build. :)

I picked up some Bloodwood yesterday for a couple of fretboards. At least one of them is going to be fretless.

IMG_3761.jpg

8. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Man, that's just sexy...

9. OHSPyro89

OHSPyro89

Jun 21, 2009
    I really do enjoy bloodwood myself, for the most part. I enjoy the fact that it can be polished to a mirror shine, it's great stuff.

I haven't seen any really stripey stuff like that before, most of mine has been fairly solid colored.

I love the smell of bloodwood, but I'm sure we've all heard the horror stories of people using the stuff. I had a lymph node swell up and I had to get removed because of the stuff.

10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Wipe that stuff down with mineral spirits before you glue it - otherwise you could have some real adhesion problems!

Lonnybass

11. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Really? I've never experienced adhesion issues with bloodwood, and I use it in about 80% of my necks. It's not particularly oily, certainly not as much as, say, cocobolo.

12. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Maybe you are just luckier than I am! ;) What kind of glue are you using in your shop? I've done bloodwood boards with both TB2 and Gorilla - in my experience the TB2 seems to be somewhat hit or miss for a tight joint for unless the board is wiped down well. Hasn't been an issue with Gorilla, but I try to avoid using the stuff if at all possible!

Lonnybass

13. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Original tb never an issue.

14. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    I'll take Tom for the win.

PU glue is not allowed in my shop and nothing but TBI is allowed for laminates.

15. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Mike/Tom-

How has TB1 compared vs TB2 for the laminates? Interesting. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Lonnybass

16. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    TBIII moved on me during a build and has since been banished from the shop. TBI has performed flawlessly during my 20 years of use.

TBII has some modifiers to improve water resistance. There are some builders here that use it, and I do as well - just on bird feeders and other outdoor projects.

17. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Birdfeeders, I love it. I'm getting down near the bottom of the current bottle of TB2 so I'll be sure to replace it with TB1 and see how it does.

Lonnybass

18. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

I would be more worried about ebony on maple, than bloodwood.

Gaboon ebony gives up moisture so slowly compared to maple... The fingerboard on the bass in my sig has some checking around the upper frets, and I've talked to other people who've had similar issues.

19. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    That would be from improperly dried Ebony. Ebony that is taken to 0% and then reconstituted will be stable in service. Ebony that is sold wet will rarely receive the proper drying postmarket.

20. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    +1 - also, TB original FTW

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021