Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stability of Modulus quantum vs. genesis necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silky smoove, Apr 20, 2005.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    As the title states: What is the difference in stability between Modulus Quantum and Genesis necks. Specifically in reagrds to the jazz versions of these (i.e. jazz with all carbon fiber, or jazz with genesis neck)?

The neck on my Flea bass (all carbon fiber) never moves, so I assume the all carbon fiber VJ4 neck will be the same, but I haven't heard one way or the other about the Genesis Jazz bass.

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i've heard that the genesis necks are just like the quantum necks...i don't think that the alder layer around the graphite the core is that thick...so you still have alot of graphite in there. i would think they'd both behave exactly the same.

of course i could be wrong because i've never had any first hand experience with the genesis necks...i was considering getting one for a project bass but it never happened. good luck.

3. genesis necks have a 'spine' of carbon fiber, as well as a layer under the fretboard. they could be destroyed if you wanted to destroy them because they are mostly soft wood, but they are probably more stable than most wood necks.

hope that helps.

4. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I have a Genesis VJ as well as Quantums and I just got a Flea. I have found the GVJ neck to be very stable, maybe just a hair less stable than the all carbon fiber Quantum necks, but still MUCH more stable than the all wood neck on my Stingray. I may have to tweak the neck on the GVJ maybe once a year, not very often at all, where as the Stingray needs a tweak every few weeks, depending on the weather, how much I'm using it, strings, etc.

Hope this helps.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm sure the Genesis is stable ... my old modulus (no trussrod) has actually had a little bit of a twisiting problem, though it seems to have worked itself out now that I moved back to the mainland. So there is no guarentee of stability even with the all graphite necks (I've heard these stories from others too ... its not just me).

That said, one time I went in to gelb music (great high-end store) and just played *everything* (I'm sure they loved me). The full graphite VJ stood out against everything else in the shop as having out-of-this-world tone and playability. The only other bass that I liked as well was an MTD 535, but I knew that the VJ would work better for the music I play.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a quantum, VJ and genesis. The VJ is a quantum neck. The spine on the genesis is completely from top to bottom and across the width of the fingerboard. I haven't noticed any problems. Stability is great on the genesis and it feels better because you are touching wood not carbon fiber. It does have a real truss rod, so they do plan for some movement

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sorry if this is kind of dodging the question, but I know you've also considered a Status neck (from reading your other thread).... these are really stable in my experience. I can't compare these to a Modulus neck, but I can recommend them as being pretty damn good! And, no, Rob Green is not paying me to say this (more's the pity). :crying:

8. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have owned two Modulus basses and both were pre-truss rod models. One was a Quantum 5 and the other was a jazz neck that was on a Warmoth body. The Q5 was not very stable but the jazz neck was amazing.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The necks on my Quantum 6 and VJ4 are both rock-stable. Never had to tweek either at all. And they seem to stay in tune forever!