Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stack delemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Oct 9, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    alright i've got an ampeg 410HE and i need another cab to cover the low lows. I was looking at the 15 inch classic cab that matches it but the stats aren't very impressive. so here's the delemma.....i know i want to keep the classic ampeg sound i get from my tens but i also want to get a cabinet that can handle a little more wattage and a little more of the low frequencies. I also don't want to spend like $1000 on a cab. does anyone have any suggestions??? THANKS!!! ROCK ONE!!! :bassist:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you might want to demo your head and existing cab with another ampeg 4x10 - a lot of times adding a second cabinet increases your apparent lows dramatically.

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    The specs may not be good on the classic 15 but it's a fine cab. I have one. It doesn't get used a lot but it sounds great. I just don't use a 15 anymore. Mmmmm Aguilar 410's are god.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    An acme low B-2 I have heard is very good.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

But an Acme wouldn't be a good match due to the huge difference in efficiency. You wouldn't be able to hear it. The Ampeg is a lot louder cabinet.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The BXT 410hlf is 8 ohms right? Might want to try one of those.

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    It would help to know what you will be powering the cabs with.
    What type of poweramp are you using?
    Is the poweramp mono or stereo?

If you are using a stereo amp, you might consider biamping - sending the lows (such as everything under 75hz) to one cabinet (a new one) and the mids/highs to another (your existing cab). It will require a crossover to split the signal. This will give you clearer, punchier mids as the deep lows that eat power would not be produced by your existing cab. If you want deep lows, you might even look at using a PA sub with an 18 instead of a 15.

If you are using a mono poweramp (such as a typical Bass Head), you will need to find a cabinet that is at least as efficient as your current cab - otherwise it may not make much of a difference. If it is deep lows you are looking for, you might look at using a 1-18 PA sub with a a built in crossover.
    The built in crossover should roll off the "muddy hump" that you would normally get by running a 1x18 full range.

Here is a link to fairly inexpensive PA sub with a built in crossover that might work.
    http://store.steelsound.com/Detail.bok?no=658
    I have not tried one of these cabs but there is a guy that gigs locally in Memphis that uses one with good results.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I use an Ampeg svt15e with my 410he and it sounds great. I usually bridge my B4r at 1000 watts into both cabs. Another possibility if you are looking for more lows would be to find a used Svt18e (the older model) It's an 8 ohm cab and could be run with your 8 ohm 410 he for a 4 ohm total load. The new Ampeg 18 cab is a 4 ohm cab so you probably don't want one of those unless your amp could handle it. My guess is that it would kick major @ss though. :bassist:

9. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    thanks for all the input!!! as of right now i've got the svt-350H head but i'm going to upgrade to an ampeg svp-cl preamp and a carvin DCM2000 poweramp in a few weeks. thanks again!

10. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    oh yeah and i also want to make sure that i can keep that ampegy sound if at all possible.

11. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    oh and has anyone here ever had any problems with the ampeg 115e not being loud enough? it doesn't seem like it can handle very much

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, what you have is a dilemma.

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Ampeg's site shows the BXT410HL is a 4 ohm cabinet. I use a pair of BXT410HL's; IMO they're a bit smoother sounding than the other Ampeg cabs I've owned or tried.

14. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    There aren't any bass cabinets that go low. Even the Acme fall off below E. Keep your stage volume as low as possible, and kill everything below 150Hz. With the bass rig not fighting the PA's subs, the sub spill onto the stage will give you more low end on stage than you have ever had. And the bass in the house will be better than ever. I've never heard good bass in the house when the bassist was using more than a 1x12", 2x10", or just his vocal wedge.

15. I run an Ampeg SVT350H with a SVT15E botton and an SVT210HE top and it sounds great. The SVT15E is a great sounding cab, and perfectly matched the SVT210.
    You can pick up the SVT15E for around $200 on ebay all the time.
    The only time I could think I would ever need more volume is if I was playing outside. I play venues of all sizes with this rig and have never had a problem, and get all kinds of complements on my tone.
    Go for the 15E

16. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    "There aren't any bass cabinets that go low. Even the Acme fall off below E. Keep your stage volume as low as possible, and kill everything below 150Hz. With the bass rig not fighting the PA's subs, the sub spill onto the stage will give you more low end on stage than you have ever had. And the bass in the house will be better than ever. I've never heard good bass in the house when the bassist was using more than a 1x12", 2x10", or just his vocal wedge."

Say what? So all this time using a 410 on stage has resulted in bad sound? I don't think so. PLUS, plenty of guys successfully use an 810 or 410/115, 210/115, 2-12's, etc. Kill everything below 150hz??? This is bass guitar dude! If my bass did not reproduce anything below 150hz, I'd smash it like Pete Townsend...wait, he plays guitar...maybe he thought it was a bass and it just didn't go low enough :spit:

The 15 is not going to give you more lows, but it is going to fill in what the 410 doesn't. A classic combo. I wouldn't worry about it specs so much...a single 15 doesn't need as much power as a 410. Especially since you are planning on upgrading your amp setup soon. eBay one as a realitively cheap experiment. If that doesn't work, another 410 may be the ticket. For what its worth, if you are doing the amp upgrage anyway, do that first...you may find with more power you get the tone you are looking for without the additional cab.

17. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you kill everything below 150 in the bass rig, it no longer screws up what the subs are doing nor fill the rum with mud, allowing the bass to be cranked in the PA (with appropriate EQ cuts for the room modes), giving a lot more tone, volume, and low end than with any bass rig.

A 15" won't do anything a 4x10" cannot do. Most 4x10" go lower and have less unwanted upper bass than a 15" (although the 4x10" are still a poor substitute for what a good PA can do for you).

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    while i don't disagree entirely with this post, the fact is that in the real world, 95% or more of the time, any given one of us isn't going to be playing with the benifit of a good pa, with good subs, with a qualified sound engineer.

19. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    well thanks for all the help everyone. so far the ampeg svt-15 looks like the best bet. I just want to make sure that when i hit that low d it really booms. will the svt-15 do that?