1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stack help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedalguy1, Sep 29, 2008.

1. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    I'm wanting to buy a Carvin bx1200, and run it in a stack at full power for my band. I have an ampeg 4x10 now with 500 watt handling and want to add an avatar 4x10 to complete the rig. One question, how would the wattages be split if i run the head at 4 oms bridged? (1200 watts) would it be 600 per cab? Will this fry my ampeg?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If both cabs are 8 ohms, and the amp puts out 1200W @ 4 ohms, then each cab will get 600W. However it won't fry your Ampeg necessarily, because a huge percentage of the time your amp is only putting out a small percentage of its potential wattage. It only puts out the max when given a big spike at the input (and bearing in mind the gain staging within the amp). So if you are cranking it up, and playing really hard and fast, then yes you run the risk of damaging the Ampeg. But if your playing is less extreme, and you don't have the amp dimed, then you will probably be fine. A limiter can also help keep you from going over the edge accidentally.

3. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    Great, thanks much, you've put my mind at ease. I know the stack seems a little much perhaps, but the Bx1200 into just the 8 ohm ampeg is only like 275 watts, and this for a power metal band with a loud drummer. I just want the stack for the volume if i need it, right now i just want to be heard.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Metal can make your head explode with volume, and yet the musicians complain that they can't be heard with 400w guitar amps and 1500w bass amps. Trust me, you can be heard ;)

5. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    lol. yeah, its just im in a tough situation right now, I'm using a berhinger 450 watt ultabass head, and its way overated power wise and the tone is just sad. Im using the sansamp PBDDI to help with the sound, but volume wise im just not where I want to be.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well God bless ya, dude. I'm not a fan of Behringer at all. I think you might have had an extreme reaction to it, though ;)

Power is cheap and it doesn't hurt anything to have it available, but nobody needs 1000w to play a gig. If you're playing a gig where you would potentially need all 1000w, you've got a PA that can easily dwarf your rig's power. And of all the people who run 1000w rigs or better, I think I've only seen 2 people who weren't playing metal in arenas who really did need that much power, and quite honestly, I think their claims are a little dubious, too. The vast majority of people with 1000w rigs end up never turning them up past barely on.

7. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    Getting rid of the behringer is going to be probably one of the happiest days of my bass playing life. With the bx1200, it looks like I can eq for any situation and yes, I'll admit that the power is probably insane for my needs, but headroom is nice. What about all these folks on here running their B1500's down to 2 ohms for 1900 watts? I cant comprehend it. lol

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I can..."Hey man, check out this rig...1900 watts, dude, I can turn this up to 1 and make people vibrate off the barstools!" Power is fun. But how much headroom do you need? I've played in a lot louder bands than my current band, but we're nowhere near quiet, and I use a 25w amp and I've got headroom on most of my gigs.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Jimmy, I think you're mis-using the word "headroom". As I understand it, headroom is how much your signal level could increase before the amp starts compressing/clipping. I guarantee if you're cranking a 25W tube amp, it is compressing and clipping like a mofo- and sounding great, no doubt. But sounding great with absolutely no headroom. ;)

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope, I'm not misusing it. There are times, especially since adding the second cab, that I can only turn my B-15 head up to a little more than half of its clean power. So the rest is headroom.

But you're right...it sounds like heaven on earth!