stack knob jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basstrader, Feb 24, 2004.

1. I'm planning a project Jazz from various used parts and am kinda liking the vintage thing. What do you think of stack knobs, ala '62 jazz?

Oh, and where can I find concentric pots and knobs? To get them from pickup makers seems pretty expensive.

2. TheToe

Feb 2, 2004
    Dayton, OH
  3. Thanks Toe man - I'll check em out. BT
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I gotta say it, stack knobs look cool but SUCK in all other respects.

The controls are very interactive and it's fussy to change tones on the fly when you have to twist four knobs to do it. I finally rewired my stack knob Jazz Bass to just one volume and one tone and I am much happier.

Volume, blend and tone is the way to go for a J setup.
  5. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    While I'm likely to convert from stacked knobs to volume/balance/tone too I think "Sucks" is a mischaracterization of the stacked knob setup. I'd say it's just more complicated. The stacked tonal options offer more variety but that is a double-edged sword. As a big plus you can blend the rolled-off bridge pickup with the full-on neck pickup - you lose the brittleness but not the bite. It's a great vinatage sound for both fingerstyle and slap. True, it's a little tricky adjusting your tone on the fly but that's coming from a guy who has played for 25 years and never had stacked controls before. After a while changing the mental patterns is tougher than changing the wiring. I think the reason Fender shyed away from the stacked version in the early 60's is that, in the store, where buying decisions are made it takes longer to figure out the stacked config whereas the vol/vol/tone setup they went with is a no-brainer for finding a good sound.
  6. Well, it couldn't be too hard to find a way to use the stack knob layout but with a vol-vol-tone or vol-blend-tone circuit. One of the knobs would be a "dummy" of course. Or maybe there's even an active preamp out there that could be made to work. I had a spector preamp that had vol-vol-bass-treble setup, that would probably work with the stack knob layout.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    MIA Deluxe pre is Vol, Blend, Mid, stacked Bass & Treble. works nicely but does not do the vintage thing very well. Don't get me wrong, I like it. Mine is installed in a swamp ash body with badass bridge. Not exactly a refined tonal machine ... Can we say aggro ? I think we can ...
  8. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I was thinking on this again and am considering doing series/parallel and volume on one stack and balance and tone on the other. That way I could change from [more neck pu, lots of highs] to [more bridge pu, less highs] with one grab. Just a thought though. I have no idea how this would be wired.
  9. If you are trying to put balance (blend) *and* volume on one knob you'd have to find a triple pot that had two of them controlled by one knob and one controlled by the other knob. I would think that would be extremely hard to find and very expensive. A blend control by itself is a double pot commonly used in stereo appications to balance channels. Would the other stack have a rotary switch on one and a pot on the other? That may be a hard combo to find. A pot with a push/pull is pretty common though.
  10. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Ok, thanks for that. I've got the series parallel options too so I should probably not get too complicated. Now I'm thinking 1) volume with push-pull series/parallel, 2) blend, 3)tone. No rush though as I had the tone of the gods on Saturday night. I was in parallel with neck vol and tone maxed. bridge vol on 9 tone on 2. Nice juicy old school slap. The antiquity II p'ups help too. ;)